Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paducah 2015 >

Paducah 2015

Paducah 2015

Old 04-13-2015, 08:46 PM

I have been planning on going. I've starting walking a little to get use to all the walking I would have to do there and I think I overdid it. I'm not sure I would be able to walk around much and it wouldn't be much fun for the people who said they would go with me. My sister and I have gone a couple times for the show and once at Christmas time, just because. I sure wanted to go this year because I am interested in looking at the Blockrockit machine and frame at Kathy's Quilt's booth. We'll see.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
It's almost impossible to make a reservation a year in advance unless you are checking out. I've tried many times and was told we don't take reservations over the phone for a year in advance. Very frustrating. I know one group that make reservations at all the motels in the area a year in advance then cancel the rooms they don't need.
The year I went, the closest we were able to get was about 45 min. away, in Illinois.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:10 AM
Power Poster

I visited last year in June. Lovely town. Hancock was awesome. El's shop was not nearly as big as expected BUT the ladies there were very nice.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:31 AM

Don't forget the FABRIC SALE shop across from the Quilt Museum - they always have great kits, backings, batiks, etc. - all for great prices - you can always find good deals there
Old 04-14-2015, 05:43 AM

Everyone that is going, please have a great time. Please take lots of pictures to post for the rest of us to see. Thanks.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by VaQuiltgal View Post
Anyone else going to Paducah? I'm going with 3 friends. This will be our 5th time and I can't wait! We are shop hopping through Ohio on our way out. It's a little out of our way, ha,ha, but we love the Mennonite shops. Then more shopping in Paducah, especially at Eleanor Burns' many shops. We'll be gone for 8 days. We all have very generous husbands who say "have fun"!
I went last year! Met up with a friend from Newport News! Tried to find some other friends from "sew days" and "scrap nuts". Is that you?
Old 04-14-2015, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Kristi.G View Post
Have fun! So I have a Paducah question. I'm roadtripping from Austin to Nashville the week after the festival (for a music event). We plan on swinging up into Paducah and spending one night there before our final destination of Nashville. Since we'll be there a week after the big event, is there a chance that shops will have low inventory due to the huge influx of shoppers the week before?
At Hancock's of Paducah there will will still be plenty of wonderful fabrics at great prices but you will have avoided the long lines to get in! Enjoy!
Old 04-14-2015, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by ragamuffin View Post
It's on my bucket list too. Does anyone stay across the river in Ohio? Are all those hotel rooms taken too? TIA
We stay across the river in IL which is only 5 miles from Paducah.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:02 AM

I don't think that there will be any problem with low inventory at Hancocks' of Paducah - in their "back room" is floor to ceiling bolts of fabrics - shrink wrapped. Do not confuse Hancocks of Paducah with a regular Hancocks Fabric Store - not the same thing. Hancocks of Paducah is ONLY in Paducah and is home owned. A must see store, year round. My daughter was a newspaper reporter and interviewed the owners during Quilt Week and they said that many women would break down and cry when they first walked into the store and saw all of the fabric. I am a batik addict and I counted 10 rows of batiks - not counting the batik backing row. OMG

Originally Posted by Kristi.G View Post
Have fun! So I have a Paducah question. I'm roadtripping from Austin to Nashville the week after the festival (for a music event). We plan on swinging up into Paducah and spending one night there before our final destination of Nashville. Since we'll be there a week after the big event, is there a chance that shops will have low inventory due to the huge influx of shoppers the week before?
Old 04-14-2015, 08:23 AM

The person who asked if anyone stays in Illinois - my group of 8 (usually 6 but added 2 this year) stay in Metropolis. I must say it took us 4 years to get to Metropolis. Prior to that we stayed at Ken Lake State Park which is 30 miles each way. Most hotels allow current guests to sign up for rooms for the coming year. Where we stay I (as the one responsible for rooms) must sign up as soon as they put the list out for guests. Then, when I get the form in Jan/Feb must book and pay. Hotel/Motel requirements vary - we always stay 4 nights so no problem to meet their requirement. We have stayed at some years ago that allowed cancellations but where we are now once you book and they run your card you have no cancellation so must be certain. That said, we love where we stay and its only about 10 minutes from everything in Paducah.

Lots of fun, great classes. Just wear comfortable shoes and be prepared for the crowds.

Hope you enjoy it.