Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper Bag Quilt >

Paper Bag Quilt

Paper Bag Quilt

Old 08-02-2010, 03:06 AM

About 8 years ago I made & my group made these quilts. None of us have the pattern, or the memory of how we made them. Has anyone made these quilts? I think we made a 4 patch cut on the diaganol attached the cut 4 patch????Help
Old 08-02-2010, 03:58 AM

I don't have the pattern.

But that would be interesting to see.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:05 AM

could you post a picture of the one that you made
Old 08-02-2010, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by gramipam
About 8 years ago I made & my group made these quilts. None of us have the pattern, or the memory of how we made them. Has anyone made these quilts? I think we made a 4 patch cut on the diaganol attached the cut 4 patch????Help
This is what I found doing a quick search - more could come up later. My mother told me that 'paper bag quilts' or 'brown bag quilts' often refer to the process. It's using most any scrappy pattern & you simply pull the fabric pieces out of the bag in an effort to not get too matchy-matchy, if you know what I mean. Pulling from the bag gives you a more random look to the quilt.
THis may or may not be what you're looking for, but I'll keep looking online for anything else that answers to 'Paper bag quilt'!

www.angelthings.com/brown_bag_quilt.htm
Old 08-02-2010, 04:22 AM

sounds really interesting!
Old 08-02-2010, 04:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by gramipam
a guest on one of Alex's Simply Quilts showed this approach as a way for young people to start
Old 08-02-2010, 04:29 AM

For some quilters, 'random' is one of the hardest things to master. They are just too anal & have to plan everything. :) Using the bag technique forces (?) them to use whatever their hand pulls out. However, that said, I do know some of my students were caught putting a piece they didn't want to use back in & grabbing another one! There's always those difficult students! lol
Old 08-02-2010, 04:39 AM

Yes, I have heard "paper bag quilt" to refer to the process, too. My grandmother made a lot of paper bag quilts.

The block pattern you describe doesn't sound familiar, sorry.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:45 AM

Look up the block "Mary's trianges" or "Jewel Box" on Quilter's cache. Is this the block?
Old 08-02-2010, 07:32 AM

A bee I belonged to did a "brown bag" exchange. We placed fabrics in a brown paper grocery baf, then all the bags were placed on a table and mixed up. Then we each drew a number and in numerical order selected a bag from the group. We all looked in the bag, just to make sure we didn't get our own bag. We decided on a minimum and maximum size to make, then we had one month to make a top with the fabrics in the bag. Choice of pattern was ours, but we couldn't add any fabrics from our stash, and we had to use all of the fabrics in the bag at least once. At the next meeting, we drew numbers again, then the person with number 1 first showed the fabric from her bag and we would find out who owned it. Then she would show the top she made, and give it and the rest of the fabric back to the owner. So we each got a new quilt top made by a friend.