Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper Bag Quilt >

Paper Bag Quilt

Paper Bag Quilt

Old 08-02-2010, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

Blup that sounds fun :mrgreen:

The brown bag quilt sounds like what I need :wink: I have a hard time with scrappy :?
Old 08-02-2010, 07:57 AM

It really was fun. We knew what fabrics would be in our quilt, but size, shape and pattern were all up to the maker. I got a great baseball quilt for my son out of the exchange.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bluphrog
A bee I belonged to did a "brown bag" exchange. We placed fabrics in a brown paper grocery baf, then all the bags were placed on a table and mixed up. Then we each drew a number and in numerical order selected a bag from the group. We all looked in the bag, just to make sure we didn't get our own bag. We decided on a minimum and maximum size to make, then we had one month to make a top with the fabrics in the bag. Choice of pattern was ours, but we couldn't add any fabrics from our stash, and we had to use all of the fabrics in the bag at least once. At the next meeting, we drew numbers again, then the person with number 1 first showed the fabric from her bag and we would find out who owned it. Then she would show the top she made, and give it and the rest of the fabric back to the owner. So we each got a new quilt top made by a friend.
Love this idea!! I like when we share our scraps w/one another - & making something out of them is just that much better! Great idea! & fun!
Old 08-02-2010, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by montanablu
For some quilters, 'random' is one of the hardest things to master. They are just too anal & have to plan everything. :) Using the bag technique forces (?) them to use whatever their hand pulls out. However, that said, I do know some of my students were caught putting a piece they didn't want to use back in & grabbing another one! There's always those difficult students! lol
Yup! GUILTY! How about putting it back several times :oops:
Old 08-04-2010, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by 2 Doods
Originally Posted by montanablu
For some quilters, 'random' is one of the hardest things to master. They are just too anal & have to plan everything. :) Using the bag technique forces (?) them to use whatever their hand pulls out. However, that said, I do know some of my students were caught putting a piece they didn't want to use back in & grabbing another one! There's always those difficult students! lol
Yup! GUILTY! How about putting it back several times :oops:
Oh! yea! Saw them doing that on more than one occasion! I always teased them, but told them it IS their quilt after all. Did TRY to get them to be brave & go for it -- they might just love the end result of being totally random. (Of course, there's always one who whispers 'but that's a lot of ripping if I don't...) lol
Old 08-04-2010, 04:40 PM

If you can't do a paper bag quilt then you are OCD and they have medicine for that now.