Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper piecing:shock: >

Paper piecing:shock:

Paper piecing:shock:

Old 03-31-2010, 01:44 PM

ANDII did I read correctly that you hand sew PP blocks? Wow you must really love sewing. I love hand applique and hand quilting - but I have never done PP by hand.. and to tell you the truth I don't think I am even going to try. ha ha ciao
Old 03-31-2010, 01:58 PM
Power Poster

I was always afraid to try paper piecing. It always seemed backwards but once you get your mind wrapped around the idea it is fun. I just learned how to do it and made a wallhanging. Now I am ready to try some of those Carol Doaks stars.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:11 PM

Carol Doak showed us how to use Scotch Brand REMOVABLE tape to "fix" pattern pieces when I needed to restitch something. This tape is also repositionable! It comes in the Blue Box . She suggests using the 1/2" size. It works very well. The tape is very easy to peel off when you want it off.

Hope her tip this might help you too! :) :)

Thank you, Connie. I can't believe I didn't think of that-I even have some of that for scrapbooking. I am working on my second quarter to make the 12" block so I'm sure I'll have time to make use of it yet. I just picked up a Carol Doak book at the library yesterday-65 quilt blocks which I'm going to look through tonight.
Andii
Old 03-31-2010, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Ninnie
I am addicted to Pp. I just learned how last week, I bought Carol Doaks DVD on learning to PP, and after watching it only once, it all made sense. I was one of those who that that paper piecing was something I would never be able to do.It is so much fun!!
I agree, I love it.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:18 PM

Eddie,
This is all a learning lesson to me even down to the smilies. I had read somewhere that if you remember the words or symbols of the smilies that you can put that in instead of going to the box each time so that's what I did. Unfortunately, the smiley didn't show up in the title just the words:shock: :? I will learn.

You need to read your pp books slowly so that I don't see a posted picture of a pieced quilt that you've finished before I finish my one block!
Andii
Old 03-31-2010, 02:24 PM

kathy,
I am getting a bit quicker at the eyeballing part although a couple of times I cut my material a bit smaller not to waste and realized afterward that I forgot to add in the flip facture...that's what I get for feeling too cocky, huh?

I'm sure I'll enjoy the speed of the machine when I use it. I guess I am doing it by hand because it is more mobile.

Is that a turkey in your pot? My sister had a neighborhood duck claim one of her pots which still had a plant in it. She used the ivy as a screen and had a bunch of little babies in there...the duck not my sister :mrgreen:
Old 03-31-2010, 02:25 PM

Tanya,
The thing is it makes so much sense and I think I've got it only to find out-Not!
Andii
Old 03-31-2010, 02:29 PM

I'm trying to learn!

Is that your beagle? Your avatar is one of the first I noticed consistantly.

I had problems at first, then found if I first don't think about it, just follow the instructions, and second if I find myself thinking about it I try to think backwards, that it all comes out just fine.[/quote]
Old 03-31-2010, 02:33 PM

Ninnie,
Are you good with numbers? I figure this has got to be a right brain/left brain thing you know what I mean? You saw it and it clicked for you. Math was never like that for me, I got it but I had to work at it so I'll get this too.
Andii
Old 03-31-2010, 02:36 PM

dannypanny,
I think I'm doing it by hand because I can carry it around with me into the front room. I'm also not real good on the sewing machine yet so it seems like I'm able to control it better. I'm trying this first time by hand and my next will be by machine.
Andii