Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Parlez vous Francais? >

Parlez vous Francais?

Parlez vous Francais?

Old 04-13-2014, 05:09 AM

Le Rouvay is indeed permanently closed- the original owner passed away and the family wasn't interested in keeping the business. I was lucky enough to visit last October shortly before they closed. It was a cute and friendly place, but as others have said, the quilting fabrics were all American companies- I bought a few fat quarters just for the fun of it, but they were Windham fabrics )

I have found the same situation in Germany and Italy, "Patchwork" is very much an American thing and the fabrics, patterns, books are basically the same as what we have, but much more expensive. I tend to get my fabric fix in the outdoor markets, antique linens and even beautiful kitchen towels, etc. are different from we have here and much more affordable!

Have a wonderful trip!
Old 04-13-2014, 07:06 PM

Wasn't a quilter when I was in Paris 25 yrs ago. Just wanted to say it's one of my very favorite cities. Enjoy your trip.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:24 PM

I would agree fabric in Europe is very expensive and can all be bought in the us. I shop online, I rarely buy locally unless I find an old print which are hard to come by in the states. I know a few quilters from Paris and they shop online. The only brand I've found that is sold in Europe and by just a few in the states is stoff. Have a great trip!! I don't know how your getting around Paris but look into a rail pass they are cheaper if bought in advance.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:02 PM

As other posters have said, fabric is really expensive in Europe and we pay around $22-$24 a metre (39" as opposed to a 36" yard). We import almost all our fabrics from y'all and I buy mostly from the US. You do find a line specifically made for the UK and European market now and again, but they probably turn up on internet web sites.

Coupled with that, Paris is itself an expensive city................ If you haven't been before you'll find it eye-wateringly so.

There's a lot to see in Paris and if you're going to give up valuable sight-seeing time, I think you'd have quite a bit of fun if you went to the huge flea market Marché aux Puces de St-Ouen (reputed to be the largest in the world) or Les Puces de Montreuil. These are on at the weekend. There are also other markets on other days and will certainly give you an authentic taste of Paris. Be prepared to haggle.

Enjoy your trip!
Old 04-14-2014, 11:05 AM

I have been to Paris a few times and it was difficult, but I did find some fabric. The best places I found were in the Montmartre district. It is a very artsy area near Sacre Coeur. Marche St. Pierre is a huge store with many floors and Molines takes up blocks with related shops. Plan on spending some time there. I found fabrics like I have not seen in the US. In other stores in Provence, I found coupes - -like our remnants at very reasonable prices when compared to the price per meter. Bon voyage!
Old 04-14-2014, 02:18 PM

I went last year and it was great fun. The store with buttons and a store with 5 floors of fabrics was great. Here's a good websitehttp://www.adventurequilter.com/e-Learning/Articles/Paris_visit.html.
Paris is a wonderful place to visit, but the stores are nothing like our quilt shops and expensive. But if you go, might as well bring back a nice souvenir!
Old 04-16-2014, 06:48 AM

As a board member has said, computer information detailed that fabric prices are rather high in relation to U.S. Will try to visit the suggested flea markets and keep in mind small notions as souvenir gifts for friends. Thanks to all for the replies as I will be visiting in September. Looking forward to my trip.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:27 PM

I think I would indulge in some lace to use as a border on a pillow or something I'd admire every day to remind me of Paris. I have an acquaintance there named Isabelle who is a highly gifted seamstress and speaks impeccable English. I'm sure she could give you the best advice. PM me if you'd like to be in contact with her.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:57 PM

I was in Paris last summer as well as in March.....I found a couple fabric shops where thy did have quilting cottons ...I did not find any quilt shops near where I was. The fabric is expensive but I really wanted some with Eiffel tower on it , and I did find some. The store I went to were near Sacre Coeur Basilica on the street in front of the carousel in Montmartre ...I took a walk going left....think it was East and there thy were , a couple fabric shops...one was called TISSUS REINE if I`m not mistaken....and yes I do speak French....lol hope this helps....hope you have a wonderful trip....the highlight of my trip was walking up the Eiffel tower....
Originally Posted by YC Quilter View Post
I'm going to Paris next month! I always look for local quilt shops when I travel so I thought I would check on the internet to see if there is one in Paris. Sure enough I found one! La Rouvray, run by an American living in Paris. My question is, what do I look for in French fabric? I know "toile" but not much else. Also web site said fabric runs about 18 euros/$23 per meter, so I won't be buying much! My DH has actually set aside some time for us to go to this shop, (instead of another museum or cathedral )
Thanks for any input!