Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pass On The Best Idea You've Had While Quilting >

Pass On The Best Idea You've Had While Quilting

Pass On The Best Idea You've Had While Quilting

Old 02-26-2011, 11:51 AM

Excellent! I also heard a clay pot or a large coffee mug would do the same thing.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by bobquilt3
WOW! K9 Dancer, what a great idea.
No, the plastic bag was Sashing Sarah's idea.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:23 PM

I fill my iron with water from an empty detergent squirt bottle. My best sewing box is a $.50 Kaboodle I got at a yard sale.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:55 PM

I cut up leftover warm and natural batting in 3 x 5 sizes, and keep by my machine and ironing board to collect loose thread, then throw away when full.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:10 PM

I wrap filled bobbins with the baby pony tail bands. I fill at least 4 bobbins before I begin piecing.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north
I don't have a fancy sewing table.... just a flat table for my machines, etc. I found a plastic storage unit that has shelves and rollers to put next to my table and machine. Then on top of the unit, I put an old silverware drawer. I put the most often used items in it and sewing is so much quicker..... I don't have to stop, get up, walk to where ever stuff is stored.
i did almost the same thing, except i had dh cut a pc of mdf (medium density fiberboard) had to ask what it stood for, duh...

anyway, had him cut a pc of that for the top of the cheapo walmart storage unit, and put the silverware tray in the top drawer, so i can cut @ my machine.. the ironing board is right behind me, so i can get a lot done with out having to get up
Old 02-26-2011, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by dljennings
Originally Posted by nanna-up-north
I don't have a fancy sewing table.... just a flat table for my machines, etc. I found a plastic storage unit that has shelves and rollers to put next to my table and machine. Then on top of the unit, I put an old silverware drawer. I put the most often used items in it and sewing is so much quicker..... I don't have to stop, get up, walk to where ever stuff is stored.
i did almost the same thing, except i had dh cut a pc of mdf (medium density fiberboard) had to ask what it stood for, duh...

anyway, had him cut a pc of that for the top of the cheapo walmart storage unit, and put the silverware tray in the top drawer, so i can cut @ my machine.. the ironing board is right behind me, so i can get a lot done with out having to get up
double duh... should have mentioned that i got a cutting mat that fit on top of the mdf....
Old 02-26-2011, 02:29 PM

It's not my idea (simply quilt guest, from 10 - 12 years ago); BUT,

rubberband two sharpened pencils together and use for tracing applique or other patterns. You will be drawing the cutting line, And the 1/4" seam allowance. Pretty cool...
Old 02-26-2011, 02:54 PM

Here are some of my better ideas, IMHO. I used scrap 2 x 4 lumber, glue, and a drill to make the gadget holder; the cone thread sits on a piece of 1/4 inch dowel with a fill piece that came with my serger, and the thread feeds across a tiny hook. The pin cushion & thread catcher for class stays in place with hook and loop tape, and comes off easily to stay with my travel kit. After I took these pix I added a sharps bottle to my gadget holder; it's a pill bottle with a hole in the lid and is recessed into the wood base.

Use a post-it label to remind me which needle is in machine
[ATTACH=CONFIG]128262[/ATTACH]

gadget holder/cone thread holder
[ATTACH=CONFIG]128263[/ATTACH]

pin cushion & thread catcher for classes
[ATTACH=CONFIG]128285[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-128257.jpe   attachment-128258.jpe   attachment-128280.jpe  
Old 02-26-2011, 03:02 PM

Sure - I'd like the scraps! I do something similar to what you do - keep flying geese paper piecing patterns by my sewing machine, and when i do some sewing, i add on some "geese" from my current project or other scraps. In time, I have a miniature flying geese wallhanging that is sort of like a memory quilt.