Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Pass On The Best Idea You've Had While Quilting

Also use the Swiffer wet mop refill plastic boxes with the clear lids for a variety of things. They hold spools of thread, scraps of binding, bias tapes, buttons, laces, etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by lclang
    Also use the Swiffer wet mop refill plastic boxes with the clear lids for a variety of things. They hold spools of thread, scraps of binding, bias tapes, buttons, laces, etc. etc.
    Gosh I just threw one out, but it won't take long to empty another one. I went to Harbor Freight, and they had the rotary blades this time. I left 2 packages, but I shouldn't have. I was figuring $30.00 was plenty, but found out they were on sale for $1.49 a pkg. They have a lot of things that I have gotten before at LQS, and HF's prices are great. I'm glad I read the tip on the QB.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lclang
    I save the liners from cereal boxes for pattern making material. The liners are clear or nearly so and you can see through them for fussy cutting and they can be pinned to a fabric many, many times without ripping or falling apart.
    There's another thing I use liners from cereal boxes for: I hang one on my work table to throw scraps into--I use blue painters tape to attach it. Those bags are pretty indestructible.

I haven't seen this one posted yet - If you have a block with many, many pieces (Or an applique block) lay out the pieces and iron onto a piece of freezer paper, one piece of paper for each block. This way you can cut out multiple blocks, have them ironed onto the paper and the pieces won't go flying everywhere if they get knocked about. They stack up very nicely.

Another tip, use the 'bell' shaped pierced earring backs to put on the end of your pins when the pins need to stay in your project for awhile. They help keep you from getting stuck so much. You can get a package at WM for a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by whereaminow
    I haven't seen this one posted yet - If you have a block with many, many pieces (Or an applique block) lay out the pieces and iron onto a piece of freezer paper, one piece of paper for each block. This way you can cut out multiple blocks, have them ironed onto the paper and the pieces won't go flying everywhere if they get knocked about. They stack up very nicely.

Another tip, use the 'bell' shaped pierced earring backs to put on the end of your pins when the pins need to stay in your project for awhile. They help keep you from getting stuck so much. You can get a package at WM for a reasonable price.

great ideas.

Have enjoyed reading all the tips.

I was at the quilt show in Hampton last weekend and one of the vendors had take the pony tail holders and had bagged them up, was selling them as bobbin covers!

I love this idea using the tool box! Going to Menards tomorrow to look for flooring, will have to take a strool through the tool sections. Thanks

Threads come in all size spools. When I finished a small spool of thread I kept the empty spool and used it when I needed to support a cone thread. Just placed the cone on top of the small spool and I was good to go. It kept the cone from flipping off the spool holder.

Blog Entries

This first tip is one of the most effective and simple tips I've ever heard.
    Great idea! Thanks.

[quote=Eileen][quote=whereaminow]I haven't seen this one posted yet - If you have a block with many, many pieces (Or an applique block) lay out the pieces and iron onto a piece of freezer paper, one piece of paper for each block. This way you can cut out multiple blocks, have them ironed onto the paper and the pieces won't go flying everywhere if they get knocked about. They stack up very nicely.

I made a "book" for laying out blocks. I used a pillow panel and for the front and a same size piece for the back, layered with batting, sewed and left an opening for turning. Quilted the cover to suit me. Added pages of warm N' natural or any firm batting alternated with plain muslin pages. The blocks are laid out on the batting layer and covered with the muslin. The whole thing can be rolled up for transporting to class or wherever you go. There is a little zippered pocket in the back for thimble, thread, scissors, pins, etc.

In a pinch I have also laid out blocks on newspaper squares and put them in a box. That works too. I like the idea of using freezer paper too.
    ]

Great thread!

I use a razor blade to rip stitches faster,
    pipe cleaner and makeup brush to clean with
    pill bottle to store old bent pins and razorblades, then toss

and most important..keep your bobbin area clean and oiled (if necessary)!

To stop quilting when I start making mistakes and start again later.

Thanks to those who mentioned the straw needles or milliners needles, got some today and boy my appliques is going much faster,and neater. So much easier to handle the needle. Thanks again

This discussion (thread) was a gold-mine of ideas - fabulous, I know I have gained a lot from it.
    Marysewfun

Blog Entries
    Just don't put anything magnetic on a machine with a computer in it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carron
    I glued a narrow magnetic strip across the top front of my sewing machine. Then when I am sewing something that has the straight pins and as they approach the needle, I pull them out and stick them onto the magnetic strip. Nothing falling onto the floor or worse into the lap.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DeniseP
    Just don't put anything magnetic on a machine with a computer in it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carron
    I glued a narrow magnetic strip across the top front of my sewing machine. Then when I am sewing something that has the straight pins and as they approach the needle, I pull them out and stick them onto the magnetic strip. Nothing falling onto the floor or worse into the lap.
    Checked with Bernina USA and it is OK to put a magnet on your computerized machine.
    I advise check with your manufacture.

I like the little wooden skewers to use at the machine instead of a metal one. They help to get your fabrics through the machine and to straighten odd little corners too small for your fingers, or too near the needle to be safe. If you happen to hit one of the skewers with your needle no harm will be done but the metal ones can break a needle and send pieces of it flying. They are very cheap and I buy a whole bag full and they last forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Rettie V.Grama
    Excellent Idea Sashing Sarah.I have a Kenmore machine which has an indentation for the spool of thread. The spool of thread sits on its side. I also use cone thread. Tried one on my machine. Works beautifully, not if they would just come up with an automatic bobbin winder which refills automatically when the bobbin empties, I would be very happy.
    They did :) Singer XL5000 & XL6000 automatically winds the empty bobbin. Imgine! I only have the XL1000, which doesn't have this feature...but I love it anyway! Just FYI :)

Debbie in Austin...who's read all 22 pages and loved the tips!

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    When I am rotary cutting multiple pieces with a ruler, it takes an extra couple seconds with every cut to find the exact mark on the ruler that I need to line the fabric with. Sometimes, I even have been known to line the fabric up on the wrong line if I am in a hurry. Then I cut the piece too small or too large.

I place a couple small post-it notes on the ruler along the line where I need to place the fabric to make the place easier and faster to find. It saves time and saves mistakes in cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by Central Ohio Quilter
    When I am rotary cutting multiple pieces with a ruler, it takes an extra couple seconds with every cut to find the exact mark on the ruler that I need to line the fabric with. Sometimes, I even have been known to line the fabric up on the wrong line if I am in a hurry. Then I cut the piece too small or too large.

I place a couple small post-it notes on the ruler along the line where I need to place the fabric to make the place easier and faster to find. It saves time and saves mistakes in cutting.
    I've used 2 strips of blue painters tape to mark my line. Put the tape on the under-side of the ruler and it will butt up to the fabric for a quick alignment.

What an excellant tip! And one I hadn't heard before, but can use beginning today! I hate it when my pieces get all jumbled together or get lost, and this would surely solve both those problems.

Thanks for such a useful and wonderful tip - everyone :)

Debbie in Austin

DJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Sashing-Sarah709
    Hi guys,
    Just a fast note (I still have company) to let you know that 8296 quilters have read this thread . . .
    I've come back several times as I'm sure many have, so the total number of quilters isn't probably quite that high, but very, very impressive nonetheless!

At the sewing/quilting expo yesterday, one vender was demonstrating using texture magic for gathering. Sew a narrow strip where you want the gathering and then steam it. If you want more gathering, put on another strip. It made very nice, even gathering.

At one of the seminars (on notions), the presenter recommended the "new" rotary cutting blade sharpener, supposedly developed by knive sharpening experts. She admitted that the old ones don't work, but says this one does. I bit. I'll report on it when I've tried it out. It's the "Orbital Rotary Cutter Blade Sharpener" by USA Sharpeners.

Lots of good ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnna
    I've almost forgot to mention my best tip....
    I clean the sole plate of my iron with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser- it works no matter how bad your iron is, and I haven't had to buy that goop iron cleaner in years! remember that stuff? yuck.
    I'm not sure if the eraser will work on teflon sole plates, mine is stainless steel.
    Blessings,
    MaryAnna
    Thanks for the tip. I just tried it on my iron and it worked great!!

This is a really great site.

What a wonderful batch of tips, thanks everyone, I've learned a lot.

I have a couple of those little 48 drawer parts cabinets (I think I got it at Walmart)for all my little assorted goodies, like jewelry findings, pompoms, odd small spools of threads. crochet needles. flower stamens, odd pencils. etc, etc.

One of the midsized drawers is full of safety pins that I bought from a laundromat/drycleaner place-perfect for pinning a quilt, no rust and they're over 20 years old. I think they charged me a dollar for a whole box of them. But if you are a regular at the drycleaners you might want to ask if you can buy a box of them.

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 ... LastLast