Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Pass On The Best Idea You've Had While Quilting

Quote Originally Posted by Quilted Dogs
    Quote Originally Posted by madamekelly
    1. I used to use sticky Velcro to keep a needle threader attached to my sewing machine since I could not see the hole in the needle. My new hero is the charming lady I bought my new machine from. I did not know you could buy machines now, that thread themselves! (If it ever breaks, the depression may kill me!) LOL!

2. FMQ is very hard for me, but a wonderful member here, posted a link where they were using a 'walking foot'. I had never seen that either. Now, I can quilt my own quilts.

3. My quilting board family will help with nearly any problem with sewing. You are all amazing. How did I ever sew without you?
    I would love to c that link on the walking foot, want to try and do FMQ on just my machine
    Me too. I looked for it but couldn't find it.

I have an empty pill bottle that I put all my used machines needles in when I change them. Keeps me from getting stabbed when I take out the sewing garbage.

Blog Entries
    Excellent Idea Sashing Sarah.I have a Kenmore machine which has an indentation for the spool of thread. The spool of thread sits on its side. I also use cone thread. Tried one on my machine. Works beautifully, not if they would just come up with an automatic bobbin winder which refills automatically when the bobbin empties, I would be very happy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilted Dogs
    Quote Originally Posted by k9dancer
    Quote Originally Posted by gellybean402
    I always seem to rip a pattern after one use so I trace the pattern onto a piece of interfacing (including all the markings) and cut it out. Now I have a pattern that won't tear and is very durable and will last forever!
    Very smart!
    This is not my tip but read it the other day on a blog somewhere. Take your old dryer sheets, use them as backing for applique work. Do u know the money u can save on that one?!
    When I worked for HGTV, I had to iron fusible interfacing to all the pattern pieces because the sound of the patters rustling messed up the acoustics. Not a bad idea after all!

Blog Entries
    that would be patterns!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by meemersmom
    I cut "rings" out of an old knee high w/ a run in it and loosely wrap them around spools of monofilament. I have no troubles keeping the tension, and the thread doesn't come off the spool before the machine pulls it, eliminating snarls and tangles on the spool pin.

And, not really quilting, but when making ruffles (curtains, pillows, bags, etc.), I use dental tape instead of a ruffler foot. It never breaks when gathering (and has the bonus of being able to undo when you need to wash a curtain).
    Could you elaborate on dental tape and ruffles?

Blog Entries
    Excellent Idea Sashing Sarah.I have a Kenmore machine which has an indentation for the spool of thread. The spool of thread sits on its side. I also use cone thread. Tried one on my machine. Works beautifully, not if they would just come up with an automatic bobbin winder which refills automatically when the bobbin empties, I would be very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ
    I check my color values (light, medium, dark) by taking a digital picture and converting it to black and white on my computer. By taking the color out I can really see if the quilt will be too monotone or have variety and movement.
    you can do the same thing on a copier ...works great

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aggie
    Use the large AM & PM pill storage boxes purchased at Dollar Tree. Scrub off the days of the week and use it for my "feet" and label them. Nice because you can just throw it around and not have to search for the right foot.
    I did the opposite, I bought the plastic case for crafts that had 14 sections and latches. I lightly sanded the lids, and wrote the days and AM/PM on them for my meds. Now when I travel, I don't have to tape it shut like I did the pill containers. the latch also makes it 'kid proof' and that is never a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by mommafank
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottage Dee
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalisa
    Another good one I picked up was: keeping band aids next to your sewing machine so when you cut or prick yourself you can bandage it up and be on your way without a hiccup.
    From experience, and tips, I have found the only way to really remove blood from anything, is to use your own saliva....it has the same enzymes as your blood. Sure works for me.
    What about someone else's blood? Twice I've gone to my stash in the past month, only to find small bloodstains on my fabric. I don't think it would be wise to try to clean someone else's blood with my own saliva, but I'll remember this for my own blood.
    Hydrogen Peroxide
    friend of mine owes a drycleaners.. that's what they use & have for years... works great

i use a rubber disk jar opener under my foot pedal to keep it from moving away while sewing.

i use used dryer sheets in stead of interfacing for applique backing

i use a dmc floss holder to hold my extra presser feet in with alittle lable to say what is what. works great

Blog Entries
    There are so many things I do...
    The travel size cotton swabs container is now a clear view needle storage container.
    I also re-use numerous containers for projects in the works and storing UFO types.

Empty Crystal Lite container
    Name:  Attachment-124653.jpe
Views: 174
Size:  43.0 KB

Becomes a portable supply container
    Name:  Attachment-124806.jpe
Views: 173
Size:  62.8 KB

Dental floss threaders for threading needles
    Name:  Attachment-124807.jpe
Views: 178
Size:  26.7 KB

Ironing table from a micro wave table
    Name:  Attachment-124897.jpe
Views: 169
Size:  45.3 KB

Everything has a Ladybug sticker so I can spot my things at meetings or where ever
    Name:  Attachment-125024.jpe
Views: 160
Size:  61.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is a good one I have problems with that long thread holder to. I am new tonight and someone told me to come here for advice and look I have already learned something on the first thing I read.
    Thanks must read on..

Quote Originally Posted by judykay
    I take a picture of my blocks when laid out before sewing together with my digital camera. There are often times when I find a block either turned the wrong way or too much of one color in the same area. For some reason a picture lets you see something different than looking at it with only your eyes.
    That is a good one so many good ones

I like the take a picture to see what it look like. I get them flipped sometimes and end up ripping.

Like the ladybug idea!

Blog Entries
    I cut an old mouse pad in a strip to put beside my machine to use as a pin cushion. it doesn't slide around the table, and I can take pins out as I sew and stab them at the flat cushion without looking.

I wind extra bobbins when I start a project and put them on a l-o-n-g pin on the cushion - as well as all the pins.

Where did you find your tool box at, that is such a nice idea. Thanks

Blog Entries
    I use a worn out mouse pad to hold my foot pedal in place.

I put nonslip shelf liner under my sewing machine to keep it from slipping across my sewing table. I have it under my foot pedal too.

Lots of great ideas on this site.
    I think most of mine have already been posted. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Rettie V.Grama
    Yes, an automatically filling bobbin!

Where did you get this tool box from? Is it Rubbermaid or Stanley??

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast