Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pass On The Best Idea You've Had While Quilting >

Pass On The Best Idea You've Had While Quilting

Pass On The Best Idea You've Had While Quilting

Old 02-26-2011, 09:59 PM

Carron, you are my hero of the day!
Old 02-26-2011, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Carron
I glued a narrow magnetic strip across the top front of my sewing machine. Then when I am sewing something that has the straight pins and as they approach the needle, I pull them out and stick them onto the magnetic strip. Nothing falling onto the floor or worse into the lap.
Do not do this guys if your machine is computerized. A major no no.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:22 PM

I was making a whole bunch of aprons that were all the same size. Instead of having to measure each one for the cutting I cut out a piece of muslin the size I needed and wrote on the pieces what they were. I then lightly sprayed with 505 spray and when I use the pieces I just smoothe the "pattern" over my fabric and I cut it out much much quicker than if I have measure every one. The 505 makes it sticky enough that it will not shift on me but is easily removed and used over and over again.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:37 PM

Compulsive Quilter
I am interested in as many of your 3-5 scrap you want to get rid of as I do alot of scrappy quilting for a variuos number of organizations hhere in New mexico,
If you are interested getting together my e-mail is:
[email protected]
Name is Sandee Williams
Old 02-26-2011, 10:38 PM

Compulsive Quilter
I am interested in as many of your 3-5 scrap you want to get rid of as I do alot of scrappy quilting for a variuos number of organizations hhere in New mexico,
If you are interested getting together my e-mail is:
[email protected]
Old 02-26-2011, 11:44 PM

I was just taught to flip the blade over, give it a small squirt of machine oil, run it over some aluminum foil and then scrap fabric to get rid of the oil and you'll double the like of each blade. Happy cutting.Sara
Old 02-26-2011, 11:48 PM

I was having a difficult time laying out a quilt on my design wall. The pattern was 62" x 71" and I was making a queen. I was constantly referring to my conversion figures, running back and forth, and making a lot of mistakes. I finally copied the original four times on my copier, taped the four together at the correct place to make the enlarged version, marked center lines top to bottom and side to side. I then clothespinned the enlarged version to the shade of a tall lamp beside the design wall so I could easily see the finished version as I laid it out. Worked like a charm! :-D
Old 02-27-2011, 12:04 AM
Cyn

I keep a scrap of batting next to my machine for threads and when I'm done for the day, I toss it in the scrap bag. Once that bag ( it's really a covered clean garbage can) is full of small pieces of fabric and batting, I add it to the stuffed couch pillows that are attached to the back of my couch to plumped them up or to a cat or dog bed!
Old 02-27-2011, 03:49 AM

I have used so many of the great tips on here, and I love seeing the new ones! I won't be redundant so here are the tips I have.

I love to sit outside in great weather and when I want to work on my quilt tops, I use my wooden tray tables. I cover one with a double layer of warm and natural batting, and a top layer of teflon cloth, held down with binder clips and that makes a pressing table for me. I use another to put my smaller cutting mat on so I can cut or squqre up patches when I need to. I can sit outside and get a lot done even with company around.

When planning a quilt, I always buy enough fabric so that I can cut my borders as one piece, lengthwise. I also cut my binding at the same time in those long, lengthwise strips too. I fold and press the binding and wrap it around a toilet paper tube or a paper towel tube so it is ready to go and easy to unroll as I sew.

I store my left over strips into rolls, and tuck those rolls into a see through shoe box. Takes up much less room and I don't have to move a bunch of other strips around to find what I am looking for.

I have a cutting table from Joann's that is 3'x6' and the sides fold down. I double folded some warm and natural batting to 2'x6', put a layer of teflon fabric over it, clamp it down with binder clips, and use it to press my yardage. I can throw the teflon in the washer to clean it but the batting stays clean. I just hang up the batting when done. No need for an ironing board!

I use a q-tip to hold a spool of thread and it's matching bobbin together.

Instead of a seam ripper, I use eyebrow razors. They usually come three to a pack, and can often be found in the dollar stores. Much faster than a seam ripper.

My sewing desk was a child's desk, with four drawers on the side. I keep the drawers empty except for the top, which holds scissors, current thread and bobbins, pins, and my eyebrow razors. The other drawers hold all my patches for the blocks I am sewing. I tend to have parches ready for sewing for one than one quilt top, so the drawers separates that for me, and keeps things tidy and out of the way.

I use a small piece of velcro at the back of my sewing machine base to catch my sewing threads and keep them out of the way. I don't use leaders or enders, just use my thumb to keep the thread taut when I start to sew.

Diane
Old 02-27-2011, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by krisgray
Originally Posted by KenZ
I save my salvage edges for use as plant ties in the garden.
Yes! They make great ties for almost anything.
I like to tie up gift bags with them