Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 13 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Pass On The Best Idea You've Had While Quilting

My sisters and I put our thread cones in a coffee cup.Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by gellybean402
    I always seem to rip a pattern after one use so I trace the pattern onto a piece of interfacing (including all the markings) and cut it out. Now I have a pattern that won't tear and is very durable and will last forever!
    excellent. i have had a shirt pattern forever that i love. it is in such bad shape-now i can save it. great idea

For ShirlinAZ: Very ingenius! Love it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gellybean402
    I always seem to rip a pattern after one use so I trace the pattern onto a piece of interfacing (including all the markings) and cut it out. Now I have a pattern that won't tear and is very durable and will last forever!
    This would be perfect when using those multi-size patterns or when altering a pattern into one of the other sizes as well. Then you could trace the altered pattern onto fusible and still be able to make the original in one of the other sizes provided. I need to do this to all of the guys western shirt patterns! Thanks! Great tip!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maine ladybug
    I would be very careful about this. I was told when I bought my machine that anything magnetic can screw up your machine. Just like the computer you are using now, there are computer parts in the new machines. Even the pin holders you can buy to have you pins out in you should keep a distance from your machine. You may want to check with your dealer before you attach the magnetic strip to your machine. JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Carron
    I glued a narrow magnetic strip across the top front of my sewing machine. Then when I am sewing something that has the straight pins and as they approach the needle, I pull them out and stick them onto the magnetic strip. Nothing falling onto the floor or worse into the lap.
    I have heard the same thing.

Best idea i ever had while sewing was to sell all my fabric and find another hobby.....obviously it was a bad day...lol

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy sevigny
    My sisters and I put our thread cones in a coffee cup.Works great.
    I've used a cup for my thread cones at my sewing machine for a long time and it does work great. This morning while practicing on my long arm I used up a spool of thread and needed to switch to a cone but the cup will not fit on the side of my long arm. The empty spool was styrofoam so I trimmed away the upper edge of the foam spool and stuck it up inside my thread cone. It fit tight as a glove and now I can place the thread cone directly on the thread pin of my long arm, it will also fit on my domestic machine. To reuse I can just stick a pencil down through the top of the thread cone to pop the styrofoam spool out and then place it in another cone...coffee mug no longer needed!

I use 2 rubber door stops to tilt my machine up towards me to lessen the neck strain of bending over to see where I'm sewing

Blog Entries
    I use the real small ponytail holders on my bobbins to hold the thread ends in place when not in use.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ
    Here are some of my better ideas, IMHO. I used scrap 2 x 4 lumber, glue, and a drill to make the gadget holder; the cone thread sits on a piece of 1/4 inch dowel with a fill piece that came with my serger, and the thread feeds across a tiny hook. The pin cushion & thread catcher for class stays in place with hook and loop tape, and comes off easily to stay with my travel kit. After I took these pix I added a sharps bottle to my gadget holder; it's a pill bottle with a hole in the lid and is recessed into the wood base.
    I like this! :thumbup: Everyone has such creative ideas. Well what else would I expect from a group of quilters? :)

Page 13 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 ... LastLast