Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Patching something >

Patching something

Patching something

Old 02-17-2011, 12:23 PM

I have a favorite of jeans that I have finally worn a hole in at the knee. The hole is about 6 inches long and goes from the outside seam in. I wanted to fuse fabric onto it in some cute manner without looking like I was wearing my 11-year old's jeans. I thought about a rectangle over the hole and then some hearts or some other design on top. Any suggestions to make this a bit more easy? Thanks!
Old 02-17-2011, 12:56 PM

How about cutting a bias strip of patch fabric, open up the inner leg seam and put the strip on as tho it's winding up your let - making sure that it covers the hole you are patching. To balance it out, put something from the same patch fabric on the other leg = maybe down toward the hem...that will make it look more like it was designed that way.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:39 PM

I understand. That sounds a bit intimidating :) Thank you for your reply!
Old 02-17-2011, 01:53 PM

My mother taught this to me. Trim the loose threads and turn under a small seam allowance on the hole. On the back side place the patch under the hole and pin or baste in place. By hand stitch the patch in place using an invisable stitch. It is kind of like reverse applique. I know, this is clear as mud. It really does work well especially if you can match the color of the jeans and the patch. When I grew up on a farm jeans were for working or playing outside. Patching made them last longer.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:07 PM

Put a cute fabric under the hole & patch leaving the edges raggedy & the cute fabric showing through. I do find it easier to patch the knee of jeans by splitting the seam. There is usually a single seam & a double one. Split the single one.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Cathie R
My mother taught this to me. Trim the loose threads and turn under a small seam allowance on the hole. On the back side place the patch under the hole and pin or baste in place. By hand stitch the patch in place using an invisable stitch. It is kind of like reverse applique. I know, this is clear as mud. It really does work well especially if you can match the color of the jeans and the patch. When I grew up on a farm jeans were for working or playing outside. Patching made them last longer.
I've repaired holes in jeans successfully in this way too.
But, raising 4 kids & 1 hubby, plus mending for grandsons, I found the most durable patches are the ones I do this way:
1) I open the side seam of the jeans
2) add a patch on inside of jeans just a bit larger than the hole, edges turned
3) add patch with edges sewn under on outside of the jeans, larger than needed in same type/color of denim (usually weak threads will cause tear to eventually extend beyond original tear, so I make the patch bigger),
4) if decorations/embellishments wanted, add them to outside patch before sewing it in place - only my daughter wanted this
5) stitch up the opened side seam.
Not as 'invisible' as some patches, but very durable & I usually end up doing same thing to other leg so they match & I don't have to repair another tear soon after the 1st.
With the price of kids' clothes, my children wore patches on pants for school & play - didn't seem to mind. My grown sons can repair their own jeans, but sometimes still ask me to fix a pair of Carharts or ski pants for them.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:12 PM

Thank you. This does make sense the more I read.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:13 PM

Thank you!
Old 02-17-2011, 08:13 PM

Thanks much!