Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pattern Advice needed. >

Pattern Advice needed.

Pattern Advice needed.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:11 AM

He is in my prayers, as is the family and scout troop too, I am sure they are all very upset.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:18 AM

Here's the info on the quilts we make for Ronald McDonald - 6" squares - either 7x7 or 5x5 with a border - all cotton with machine stitched binding- washable. If each member of the troupe did one square - you can use Moda solids and have them use permanent Sharpie markers to decorate or find a square they can cut and maybe sign with a Sharpie. I'd keep it simple and let the boys take charge as it will be therapeutic for his friends as much as for the patient. Here's a link to the Ronald McDonald page for ideas. (remember hospitals have to be concerned about germ control) http://www.rmhcincinnati.org/sites/d.../Quilts(5).pdf http://www.rmhcincinnati.org/sites/d...ern%206(1).pdf or this crib size http://www.rmhcincinnati.org/sites/d...20Patch(1).pdf
Old 11-21-2014, 10:43 AM

How old is the young man? Motorcycle wrecks are the worst. My prayers go out to him and his family. I used to counsel parents of brain injured youth....after my daughter had severe head injuries from a head on car collision.
It sounds like they have him in a medical induced coma...I have to tell you, depending on the swelling and damaged area of the brain, with motorcycle and train accident head injuries,....the patients rarely survive.
I hope that his young age will bring him through this. My daughter was 16, was in a coma for three weeks, hospital for three months and rehab for over a year. They told us she would be deaf since spinal fluid had leaked into her ears, that she would not have a sense of taste or smell, she would have a limp,..one of her legs would be shorter than the other from the broken femur, that she would not graduate high school or go to college, and it would be difficult for her to have a job.
She came out of the coma and after emergency surgery to elevate brain pressure, was assessed. She had three seconds of memory, didn't recognize her grandmother or friends, did not know how to do day to day tasks....she had lost so much.....but there are angels out there.....When she was able....about two months out, they put her in cognitive therapy and took the memory from 3 seconds to her now having a great memory. She graduated from high school with her junior year in home schooling, she does not walk with a limp, she received her bachelor of science degree in Psychology and is working on her Masters....she is a certified Court Mediator and a full time Risk Manager. Her hearing is more acute than before the accident. So don't let the doctors tell you all the bad news as gospel. She is our miracle child......and I will pray that this young boy receives a miracle angel today! I would not put a motorcycle in your proposed project quilt....it would be difficult on the parents. Find a hobby he enjoyed and focus the fabric on that. I personally, would make a large bear made from these fabrics and let the boys help you sew it and stuff it. If they want something quilted, then perhaps a large pillow or pillow sham. I'm sure he will be in bed a lot after he goes home....large pillows are great for propping up and for putting this only, like a tablet etc....or just cushioning under arms and legs. I do hope all turns out well. Diana in TX