Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ideas needed for vintage embroidery >

Ideas needed for vintage embroidery

Ideas needed for vintage embroidery

Old 11-18-2014, 07:14 AM

Default Ideas needed for vintage embroidery

Hi everyone. I'm new to the board here, it looks like a great place! I look forward to meeting everyone. I have a collection of embroidered items (tea towels, dresser scarves, pillow cases) that my grandmother made. She passed away a few years ago and I want to make these into a quilt or wall hanging so they can be displayed. Do you have any ideas or suggestions? I've been searching but haven't had much luck. I also have 4 embroidered pot holders that are female faces and need ideas on how to display them. Thanks!!
Old 11-18-2014, 07:33 AM

I've been thinking about stitching embroidered pieces onto either pillows or wallhangings or quilts. I haven't quite figured out how, but I've seen doilies stitched onto pillows that look great.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:40 AM

I will be following this with interest - I have the same sort of collection from my grandmother and I'd like to do something similar! Some of the embroidery is delicate and aging fast and I'm trying to figure out how to preserve it....no idea what to do, though!

Definitely something for display only, not for use. At least for my stuff - I don't think any of it is rugged enough to be turned into a lap or bed quilt. I was thinking small wall hangings; if I can make five of them that'd be enough that I can give one to my sister and to each of my 3 cousins on that side of the family - one for each of her grandkids.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:13 AM

Welcome from Arkansas! I have been wanting to try something with my crocheted doilies & they have a lot of ideas on Pinterest! Pillows look to be the easiest place to start. I'll follow this thread to see what others suggest Good luck!
Old 11-18-2014, 08:18 AM

Welcome and YES, go to Pinterest - there are a million ideas there. Just type in "vintage linens" in the search box and start clicking on the pictures.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board! Yep! You picked the right spot!
Old 11-18-2014, 09:02 AM
Power Poster

​Welcome from Ontario, Canada. There were pictures posted of a lovely quilt using embroidered pillow cases on QB. Try the search box to find pictures.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:10 AM

Arrange small items (such as hot pads, etc.) in shadow boxes with appropriate memorabilia with a tribute to your relative. Just a personal preference, I probably wouldn't take a family linen apart or re purpose it but a non-relatives work w no sentiment would be lovely redone in a quilt, wall hanging or whatever. At any rate, use a pigma pen (permanent) to date, approximately if not certain, your final display. I have a huge supply of quilt literature that DIL who works at L Arts has given me. I have seen a pattern incorporating vintage handkerchiefs in a quilt top. Also, seen embroidery items made into sofa pillow covers.
Another idea is arranging in a crazy patch design utilizing your own skills to make it even more of a family memento, signing with the date and your name in embroidery on a quilt top or wall hanging. They don't have to be large, I made embroidered squares with sashes and borders from block kits that were vertical which could be used on the wall or on a table. History tells us cotton can last in excess of 200 yrs. Kudos to you for keeping textile objects a family treasure.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:23 AM

Default photos

That is exactly what I`m working on at the moment....using vintage items to make quilts....I`m on my second top....cutting up the items to make squares and even using the crochet bindings in the quilt....here is a look

Originally Posted by deniselt View Post
Hi everyone. I'm new to the board here, it looks like a greatplace! I look forward to meeting everyone. I have a collection of embroidered items (tea towels, dresser scarves, pillow cases) that my grandmother made. She passed away a few years ago and I want to make these into a quilt or wall hanging so they can be displayed. Do you have any ideas or suggestions? I've been searching but haven't had much luck. I also have 4 embroidered pot holders that are female faces and need ideas on how to display them. Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails 051resized.jpg   053resized.jpg   055resized.jpg   056resized.jpg  
Old 11-18-2014, 10:47 AM

Wow thanks for the replies and suggestions. I will do another search on Pinterest. I am leaning toward wall hangings So they can be seen but not subject to use.

Annette - your quilt is gorgeous. There arena couple pieces (the peacock and hoop skirts) that are similar to what my grandmother did.

I will ill be back with some ideas.