Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Patterns for New Quilter, that has never sewed >

Patterns for New Quilter, that has never sewed

Patterns for New Quilter, that has never sewed

Old 02-02-2015, 07:09 AM

I actually would not do a nine patch to teach someone to sew, I did use it thinking the same thing with my niece and she hated it because she couldn't get the points to match. After making a few blocks we decided to make a rail fence instead and she loved it I know she still has it and is now a young woman. She is not an avid quilter but still sews.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:28 AM

After teaching her how to thread a machine and sew a straight line, and a few basics in cutting etc...I would test out her skills to see if she is a natural or someone who needs to learn from the ground up. I know I started with zero skills in quilting...even had to buy a machine and with a couple of hours in the way of a "crash course" to get me started, I went on to make a king sized quilt with fabrics on the bias and literally a thousand triangles used to making blocks called Crown of Thorns, and it came out good enough to make me go further. We all learn at different rates and with varied skill sets and just because some of us started at the lowest rung on the ladder does not mean everyone should. For many the pendulum swings both ways...start us with something too complicated and we quit...start us with something too basic and we quit from boredom. I think a runner with some challenges, especially if you are along to view the progress and help with the mistakes, gives her a "sewing vocabulary" and not something so simplistic that it will likely end up being her one and only. If she is a friend, you more than likely know her temperament and that would be the deciding factor for me as to what I teach her and at what pace...or I would"politically"suggest the LQS for instruction...so you remain friends.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:49 AM

I like Yellow Brick Road to teach new quilters. I have taught quilting at my home school co op a few years now. We start with a needle case next is a bag followed by a pillow case and then they start their quilt top. We also meet up for a field trip to LQS and Joanne's. My favorite thing about Yellow Brick Road is that it has no seams to match so even when they make mistakes they do not get discouraged. Good Luck and enjoy the time you get to spend with your friend :-) 17 years ago a new friend started me on this quilting path, she is now my BFF and I cannot ever thank her enough for teaching me this craft.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

Perhaps have her do a couple sample pieces to see how her seam allowances are. Then maybe sewing big 4-patch blocks. Rail fence next. Best to you with your new student.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

I love Boxed Squares! It is incredibly easy, but can be impressive when there are a lot of colors. I have made it twelve times.
Attached Thumbnails tropical-nights-finished.jpg  
Old 02-02-2015, 10:34 AM
Power Poster

I always recommend rail fence for a first quilt because there is no need to match seams within the block, plus it looks more complicated than it is.

Boston, *love* your boxed squares! This too would be a great first quilt, especially with wonderful batiks!
Old 02-02-2015, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
For learning how to sew - my suggestions:

Basic instructions on how to thread and run the machine, for starters.

Then a fairly easy project - and potholders is NOT on my list.

A pillow case
Pajama pants
Place mats
Table runner
Tote bag

Do you know what her expecations are?
Her aptitude?
How about a wall hanging?
Old 02-02-2015, 11:00 AM

Rail fence is super easy
Old 02-02-2015, 11:08 AM

Split rail fence is super easy for a beginner.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by didi View Post
I need your advice, my friend wants to learn to quilt. I thought I might start her out on a lap quilt. Thing is she has never sewed. I guess first I'll have to show her about the sewing machine.
What pattern would be good to start with, no triangles, please.
Rail fence has very little seam matching and is instant gratification.