Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Patterns for New Quilter, that has never sewed >

Patterns for New Quilter, that has never sewed

Patterns for New Quilter, that has never sewed

Old 02-02-2015, 11:22 AM

I have often taught people who have never used a sewing machine to quilt. It can take a lot of time.

I tell them that we make a log cabin first because no matter what mistakes they make, I can fix them. I do it in my home because I have everything they'll need. That way they don't have a huge investment to make (other than the fabric!) to get started. Also, if they find they really don't like quilting they won't have spent $$ on notions. If they do like quilting, then they know what things they'll want to buy first. I go to the store with them to help them pick out fabric and at the same time I can teach them how to get the right amount and keep track of what fabric will go where, and teach them about batting. I use Eleanor Burns Quilt In A Day book. It already as the fabric charts and great instructions and yardage already calculated for them. Sometimes a picture is easier for them to see what to do than my telling them. It usually takes someone who know how to use a sewing machine about 18 hours to completely finish a quilt. If they don't know how to sew, 24 hours. I tell them that if they bring a friend along, it goes faster...as long as they can sew and talk at the same time! I have them tie the first one they make too.

As I only teach people I like. It's a lot of work and I gladly give my time to someone I actually enjoy being around. We pick a day that they have 7 or 8 hours that they can work. I set out some grapes and cookies and ice tea so they can snack, and I buy a variety of Weight Watchers meals that I microwave for lunch. Yes, it is an expense for me to do all that, but I enjoy it!

I have a large dining room table and counter. I set out one or two sewing machines, an ironing board, and cutting mat. The first thing I teach is how to fold and cut fabric. I tell them that the only thing I can't fix that they might do wrong is to cut themselves with the rotary cutter. I don't do blood. I show them how to measure, line up the fabric, and cut it with the cutter. The rotary cutter usually scares them a lot!!! I make sure that they close it immediately after each cut. I cut the strips for the Log Cabin a little larger. That way I can trim/square up the fabric as they go along so that they don't don't have exact seams, I can fix it.

After cutting a few strips, I have them use my easiest machine and teach them how to use it. Stop, go, seam guides, keep your fingers out of the way, and straight stitching. I give them some old strips to practice on. After 10 minutes or so they are ready to go. I show them pictures about how to line up the fabric from Eleanor's book, and demo for them. Since they are new to sewing, they sew very slowly! So while they are stitching their first strips together, I finish cutting more strips. Then I show them how to cut the strips apart and square them up and iron them.

Now, it could take a month if they had to do everything themselves since it is all so new to them. But after showing them how everything is done, while they sew, I cut fabric, and iron for them. If they have a friend, all the better. Before stitching all the blocks together, I make sure that they are the same size. Since I cut the strip a little larger, it is easy to cut them to fit. Putting the back, batting, and top together is fairly simple.

Yes, I put a lot into this, but it is fun! Some people decide that they really don't like the process, and others go on to buying their own machines and making more quilts.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:39 AM

So I am almost finished (just need to do the binding, which I am going to do tonight) with my first quilt. I had no sewing experience, and had never made a quilt. Taught myself using Youtube tutorials, this forum, blogs, and a book. I made a one block wonder. I know you said no triangles, but I am just going to suggest this one, because I found it to be a great first project for the following reasons. 1. you can see each kaleidoscope coming together as you sew, its immediately satisfying, which gives you the drive to want to continue. 2. Its repetitive so you can practice a lot. 3. Because it is so busy, it is very forgiving of flaws, so I can look at my quilt without cringing, which is a great feeling, and makes me want to do more. 4. I found it really FUN to make, and I say this as someone who was NOT expecting to like quilting at all. Seriously. I really think a big part of the reason I like quilting is because I chose the right style for myself.

That said. I think the best advice is have her look at pictures of quilts and ask her what appeals to her. Find out what she likes in a quilt and then try to find an easy pattern that she likes the style of, because when you make something you like and fits your style, its easier to survive the frustrations of being a new quilter.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:45 AM

I just started quilting last June with no previous sewing experience and no one to teach me. The first thing I made was a jelly roll race quilt top. It was super simple and was good practice sewing straight lines and 1/4" seems. I didn't have to worry about choosing fabric or cutting it, all I had to do was sew. It was a good test to make sure I would like doing it. Plus I had a finished quilt top in a fairly short amount of time.

The next thing I made was placemats. I picked up a package of fat quarters so this time I just added cutting the fabric to what I was learning. I just made 3in squares and sewed them together 6 across and then made 4 rows and then added a border. I didn't really follow a specific pattern but wanted something small to do the quilting on, and just stitched in the ditch to start. I think starting with something simple is good so they don't get overwhelmed. Once I finished those projects I did a the free 2012 Craftsy Block of the Month class which was great because I learned so many different techniques and I could go at my own pace. Good luck, I hope she loves it as much as I do!
Old 02-02-2015, 12:22 PM

How about a strip quilt using scraps sewed onto a foundation back? That's what I did as the lady didn't have any scraps so let her dig into mine since they procreate during the night, then we got her a correct foot for 1/4" sewing. She just had to be close to perfect on that very 1st strip and the rest could be close but not as perfect. And if she goofs up, they're only scraps. I consider them freebies anyway. This will give her practice on getting a1/4" seam without all the stress.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:53 PM

I think Yellow Brick Road is a great first quilt. No seams to match and fun to do.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:58 PM

I learned on the Nickle Quilts book by Pat Speth. She might as well learn triangles. Not that difficult, imho.
sandy
Old 02-02-2015, 04:00 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

As a longtime quilter and teacher, I also suggest rail fence as the best beginner pattern.

Jan in VA
Old 02-02-2015, 04:04 PM
Power Poster

Look for the Bricks or laying bricks block. It has no intersecting seams at all. A very easy starting pattern.
peace
Old 02-02-2015, 04:06 PM

My favorite when teaching a beginner is a rag quilt. They are very forgiving. Minimal accuracy. Minimal quilting and no binding. A good way to find out if it is something they enjoy.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:59 PM

Rail fence was my first. Matching corners sucks when you're starting LOL (ok ok, I'm still not good at this!) Maybe a sampler?