Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Picking out fabric >

Picking out fabric

Picking out fabric

Old 01-30-2014, 02:56 AM

Default Picking out fabric

I love to look at fabric....I have since I was a child. I can go in a QS and look for hours. Then when it's time to pick out fabric for my quilt I freeze. I can't seem to get it together and nothing seems to go. What is my problem? I know what I like I just can't make it work together. I am a novice quilter and an old girl that used to make all my own clothes when I was a kid. Why can't I put quilt fabrics together so they look right? Any suggestions?
Old 01-30-2014, 03:31 AM

When picking out fabric for a quilt, I usually start with my pattern. Wander around in the store until I find what I want for a focal, or primary fabric in the quilt. Will then move on from there. I usually end up carrying around bolts of fabric with me for what seems like hours sometimes. If you have difficulty trying to figure out coordinating colors, try using the dots on the selvage of your focal fabric...those are the individual colors used to make up that pattern/design.

I will also, lay out the bolts with the lesser fabrics hidden, so to speak, so I can get a sense of what the visual will be. Focal on top, an inch or two of next fabric and so on. Or how they are going to be used together to get a sense of how it looks together.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:08 AM

I have a similar problem but the wonderful sale staff at my favorite fabric store always help me.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:34 AM

There is a fabric website where you can look at several fabrics together. Fabric.com has an option to add fabric to a design wall so that you can preview it together with other selections.

Last edited by IrishgalfromNJ; 01-30-2014 at 04:37 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:15 AM

Think that NJquilter may have the answer for you. You probably want the best choice for the planned quilt and that is the hangup. Don't be afraid to audition several options and be sure to stand at least 12" back to view the collections. Another hint, when looking at a collection make sure the others are not in your sight, the others will influence what you want to look at. Whatever you choose, remember that they will look so much better when sewn together.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:22 AM

I agree with NJ quilter above. The focus fabric tells you what colors go with it. Once you've made a selection, buy a quarter yard of each and go home and make a sample block for your quilt. You'll know then if you like it.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Annie Pearl View Post
I love to look at fabric....I have since I was a child. I can go in a QS and look for hours. Then when it's time to pick out fabric for my quilt I freeze. I can't seem to get it together and nothing seems to go. What is my problem? I know what I like I just can't make it work together. I am a novice quilter and an old girl that used to make all my own clothes when I was a kid. Why can't I put quilt fabrics together so they look right? Any suggestions?
annie I feel your pain I am exact same way when it comes to putting quilt fabric together,I also made my own clothes untill I retired in 2006 I like your name two of my favorite people have those names one annie and one pearl put together has a nice ring to it
Old 01-30-2014, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by alleyoop1 View Post
I have a similar problem but the wonderful sale staff at my favorite fabric store always help me.
f
I agree! Most staff at LQS will be very willing to help you. Just do not be afraid to say "Thanks is not what I had in mind" if you do not like the fabric they choose. They will not be offended. After a while you will become more comfortable about choosing fabric. I still second guess myself about fabric choices even after about 5 yrs of quilting and many more of sewing. Just GO FOR IT!!!!!
Old 01-30-2014, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

Another way is just look for one fabric with colors that you love. On the selvedge there usually will be registration dots with the colors used in the printing process. You can use the dots to help find coordinating fabrics. I've done this and sometimes don't even buy my focus fabric, just used it to pull others.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:18 AM
Power Poster

I have found that starting with one focus fabric really helps.