Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pieced backings. >

Pieced backings.

Pieced backings.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:37 AM
Banned

here's a link on how to do a diagonal quilt back - it supposed to save on fabric and makes it easy to roll up and quilt since the seam never rolls upon itself.

http://www.flynnquilt.com/workshop/FreeLessons/
Old 04-19-2009, 08:05 AM
Power Poster

I almost always have to piece my backing. If it's just a solid it's easy, but if it is different squares it can be hard to have everything match up. Those are the ones I just want to stipple quilt.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:49 AM

Thanks! :-)

I love the idea of a diagonal stripe, that would be cool.

I have several triangles and squares of left over material, and rather than put them aside I'd like to incorporate them into the backing. I have 12 labels to go in it too, so I need to plan it!

I think I'll have to be careful to make sure it doesn't line up with the front, I wouldn't be happy if it was supposed to match and didn't!

I love the idea of a mirror image, that would be seriously cool!
Old 04-19-2009, 01:24 PM
Power Poster

I don't have a picture, but for one of my quilts I used a full width of one fabric flanked by a different fabric (split) on either side. Not exactly art but a good stash buster. Haven't done the quilting yet but it will be in the ditch for the Jacob's Ladder on the front.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:59 PM

I have a couple here that I pieced the back. I have only used the wide backing fabric once, I like to get fabrics on sale to use for backs.

I have also put a "cross" in the back using leftover blocks and some extra pieces as well. The cross being the leftover pieces and the non cross being my backing fabrics

Baby quilt for donation.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]7462[/ATTACH]

I actually planned to use these 2 fabrics on the back cause I liked them both and already had enough for the front.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]7502[/ATTACH]

This one I only needed a little to make the back larger so I used leftover pieces of my fabrics after I cut out the blocks
[ATTACH=CONFIG]7598[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-7462.jpe   attachment-7502.jpe   attachment-7598.jpe  
Old 04-21-2009, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
here's a link on how to do a diagonal quilt back - it supposed to save on fabric and makes it easy to roll up and quilt since the seam never rolls upon itself.

http://www.flynnquilt.com/workshop/FreeLessons/
TY Klue - this is a great tip to know. Much better than having a bunch of seams. You could still use some of the fabrics from the piecing and include them on one side of the diagonal.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:04 AM

Wow, that would be awesome! I'd like to see that if you ever get it done!
Old 04-21-2009, 12:32 PM

I've still got a headache from the math involved in a diagonal seam! LOL
Old 04-25-2009, 06:32 PM

I made 4 queen or larger quilts this past year and I used a piece back for each quilt. I used fabric 43 inches wide down the center length wise, then a used a coordinating fabric (usually a solid) for a strip on each side of the 43 inches then another piece of the center fabric on the outside of the coordinating fabric. I tried to make the outside seam of the coordinating fabric at the mattress edge and the hang would be the center fabric.

With a 90 inch wide quilt top, I would use the 43 inch center piece, a 10 inch coordinating fabric on each side of center piece then then another piece of center fabric 18 inches on each side of the coordinating fabric. Remember your seam allowances, I am using finished widths. I know this equals 99 inches but when long arm quilting you need extra fabric on each side of the quilt. I then cut off the excess after quilting and use in another quilt top. I like to use my quilts reversable coordinating with my bedroom colors for the backs.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:30 AM

I like to piece all my backs when possible, and try to use some of the fabric or leftover blocks from the front. Placing the back seams on the diagonal eliminates the need to get the seam juuuuust perfect with the front seams.

Angels. I wish I'd had more contrast in some places...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]145144[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-145139.jpe