Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pieces too small to keep >

Pieces too small to keep

Pieces too small to keep

Old 01-03-2014, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
I try an use most of mine that are 2 inch and larger but after using the same fabric over and over I get sick of looking at them I have given several bags full to Goodwill. I am going to see if the schools could use them for art class.
This is what happens to me. I am using the same fabric in so many scrap quilts, I get sick of it. Now I am making a crumb quilt, sort of log cabin style but wonky. I am taking one fabric and put some of that onto each block until that stuff is GONE. That will tie the whole quilt together, with the same colors in lots of blocks.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Venicepinky View Post
OK.....one of my new year resolutions is to purge my stash of small pieces. I love to applique and have some fabrics that are over 30 years old in my boxes sorted by color...How can I get myself to let go...It's always "I might need this little bit of this color later on" The boxes I use are the clear plastic ones that are about 10 by 15 inches and 9 inches deep and I can't shut the lids anymore. How do you do it?
I have found a good way to purge those piles of 'too little, too much'. I offered to ship them to other board members for the cost of postage for a flat rate box. They get a surprise package for their scrappy quilting, and I get more room to use for other things. Works for me.
*Just a thought to add. If you haven't used the scraps in 30 years, do you really think you will suddenly need them tomorrow? just asking....
Old 01-03-2014, 08:46 AM

I think it depends on what kind of quilts YOU like to make. If you like a unified design, then perhaps keeping all those scraps for a quilt is not to your liking, and it would help you to find them a new home. I think with the scraps of several quilts, you'd be making scrap quilts for quite some time. But if you like to make a scrap quilt and think its a valuable use of your time, then by all means keep them. I LOVE a scrap quilt, but very rarely make one. I find new homes for my scraps, because I know someone will be more excited to make a scrap quilt than I will.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:11 AM

Jo C..you can ditch them my way! I love trip or string quilts!!! I'll pay the postage.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:50 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I keep anything 1.5in HST or larger... im a scrapper so once my tub gets full ill make something to tame the tub down.. If a lid wont close THATS the tub/bin im working with next... Keeps the creative juies going and im never working on the same project twice..
Old 01-03-2014, 10:08 AM

Holy Batman!!!!! You are one thrifty woman. More power to you.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:18 AM

I love the idea of having someone to trade scraps with. It's true you get tired of using the same ones over and over.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
I love the idea of having someone to trade scraps with. It's true you get tired of using the same ones over and over.
I also love this idea. A friend of mine has collected so much fabric she has boxed some of it up and sent it to another state that does charity quilts and is not fussy about the fabric being quilt store quality and some of it she has passed on to some of us her friends and it is a lot of fun to go thru someone elses scraps. I have given some of mine to the senior citizens group and they are very happy for the donation for their charity quilts. Our local guild is very fussy about the fabric they receive so I don't donate to them anymore, I give to those who appreciate it. None of it is junk but not all of it is quilt store quailty.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:51 PM

Speaking of scraps, would anyone want a box of scraps? My sister and I just moved into a trailer, so there's not much space, so we're trying to get rid of some of our things. My sister has a medium sized garbage bag full of scraps (all shapes and sizes, especially small) Would someone on the board like them? I could send a box off to you. Just pm me with your address and I'll send them along to you. I don't know what there is in the bag, but youre welcome to them.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:07 PM

Justfllyingin.... Your quilts are always wonderful. It was fun to see how the different colored sashing made the quilts unique.