Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Uses for small pieces of batting..and I mean SMALL

Senior Member Chester the bunny's Avatar

Uses for small pieces of batting..and I mean SMALL

I am terrible when it comes to having to throw anything away....I think it comes from my grandma, but I digress....
    I piece my larger pieces together for backs and use some for potholders / rag quilts / but is there anything I can do with say 3" strips of batting? The stuff left behind after trimming your quilt?
    Any ideas would be appreciated!

Carole

I save all my trimmings and then use it for stuffing for pet beds that I donate to the local SPCA.

Power Poster
    I zig zag my strips together until they are all gone. I can sometimes get a good size piece out of the strips and I set the new square aside for small projects. If I want to do pot holders, I cut 2 squares out and turn them so the zig zags go one way on the bottom batt and the other way on the top batt. They work just fine on a lot of small things like pin cushions, thread catchers, quilted pencil cases etc.

You can also use small pieces as padding, for appliques.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Bookmarks, and coasters, mini blocks for ornaments or keychain fobs.

My really small pieces go in a separate bag that I use for packing material when sending packages in the mail. My kids gave me a bad time until they got fragile items all safely padded. Teeny, tiny pieces become mulch in my garden.

Blog Entries
    I use them for purse straps. I'd piece them together for small items too. I found a great tip on here a while back...put 2 pieces together, using the ruler/rotary cutter, cut a nice straight edge, sew it with a hem stitch (has a few straight stitches, then a zigzag - keeping the straight on the outside and the zigzag catching both pieces), open and smooth it out. Works great and easier to line the two pieces up.

Blog Entries
    sometimes, a larger piece that i have is a smidge short on one side or just in the corner... so i use these small pieces to fill the larger piece out to a usable size
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Zig-zag together, use for rag quilt squares
    Loretta Sewhappytoquilt

Besides what the others have said, I make a "strip sandwich" to test my machine, thread, etc. when getting ready to quilt.

Those small pieces can be used outside the realm of quilting! Use them to dust off your Tv, computer screen, and dashboard of your car. If your strip is wider than 3", put it on a swifter handle and give a quick sweep of your floor. You will be surprised how well they work for this!
    "He who masters the grey everyday is a hero."
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/PeachPalaceDesigns

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnye View Post
    Besides what the others have said, I make a "strip sandwich" to test my machine, thread, etc. when getting ready to quilt.
    GREAT idea!
    Loretta Sewhappytoquilt

At garage sales, I buy old pillow cases which I channel quilt and stuff with little batting pieces for the Pet Shelter, they are always glad to see more.

they can be used for handles on purses,

Pin a small piece of batting to your shoulder as a place to stick small pieces of thread while you are sewing. You can also use it to "blot" snippets of thread off your clothing. When you're finished sewing for the day, use the scrap of batting to clean up small bits of thread or tiny fabric scraps around your sewing machine. Then throw it in the trash.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...B5F8C60F07.png
    There is no snooze button on a hungry cat!

I sew the larger pieces together for quilts, but I take the itty-bitty ones down to a guild that gives them to someone else who wants them. I don't know where they end up, but at least they're out of my home and still being used.

Blog Entries
    I wad them up and use for dusting and cleaning my sewing room, they always pick up loose threads and bits of fabric dust.
    fatquarters

I have used them on my floor swifter that lives in my sewing room, works great, and sometimes I will even wash them and reuse a couple times....keeps my hardwood floors clean of all the little thread clips that don't make it into
    the wastebasket. have used in and for drink coasters also.....Batting is so expensive, I don't throw anything away.

Machine embroidery in the hoop projects.

Use them to catch threads when sewing, put one on the edge of your table next to your machine. Works great. Also for you Swifter dry mop. Works great and usually the right size. I also keep several handy for this use too.

mix with catnip and stuff cat toys.

What great ideas! I feel so wasteful after reading this thread. I usually throw away the strips after doing a quilt.
    Well, sometimes I will cut 4 or 6" squares for my quild to use on rag quilts.

I'm going to be trying a lot of these ideas! Thanks for the tips.
    Karen in CA
    Babylock Ellisimo, Babylock Enlighten Serger, Janome 6600, Janome 760 for travel

Blog Entries
    HeHeHeHe...give them to another quilter!
    https://napquilting.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/NAPQuilting/

My GOAL is to ALWAYS ENJOY EVERY STEP of the quilting process....

This board is fantastic! What great ideas. You guys are the best. . . any question or problem and everyone kicks in with great ideas. So glad I found you. :-)

Senior Member Chester the bunny's Avatar
    Thanks for all the tips everyone!
    I Just comlbined some of the ideas and thought I should cut the ones that are right right size for rag quilts into enough squares to make a complete quilt and put a pretty bow around it and give it to some quilting friends who like making the rag quilts. Love the swiffer idea too!

You guys are great!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast