Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Uses for small pieces of batting..and I mean SMALL

I would not use smaller pieces or strips for a quilt. To much of a chance of them coming apart after numerous washings. Save them for smaller projects. Its ok to sew a couple larger pieces together for a quilt. We always have pieces from a roll leftover.

Blog Entries
    What about purse straps, bookmarks,piece them together .
    TxCaRose

I keep all small pieces of batting and then cut them up in very small pieces for stuffing the teddy bears and dolls I make.
    Nothing wasted.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Monika View Post
    I save all my trimmings and then use it for stuffing for pet beds that I donate to the local SPCA.
    I have a question on this -- I spray baste my quilts but toss the trimmings only because I thought if the dogs/cats chewed on the bedding, they might get sick from the basting spray. Your thoughts ???

As for leftover batting scraps, I use them in whatever I can - sewing together what I can. Those too small and not sprayed, I also use it for dog beds.
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

I use tiny bits as stuffing for heart shaped pillows for the cartiact unit of a local hospital. I always keep a few hearts sewn up and then fill as the bits are trimmed off of projects.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I feel so wasteful now. I throw away the trimmings around my quilts...the small pieces. And now I've read about all the good uses for them. Shame on me.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I zig-zag stitch pieces together to get to the size I need. Or maybe use for stuffing pillows, pet beds.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Insanity I know - but I have a plastic bucket of diced up small smidgens that usually gets used up when making stuffed Christmas ornaments. Free stuffing!

Cotton Theory by Betty Cotton uses strips as small as 11/2 inches wide for blocks and is a quilt as you go method.

Do you knit? I'm knitting a bunny and I'm supposed to put a tennis ball in the body. I used larger needles and it doesn't snug up. You just gave me inspiration -- I can wrap the batting around the ball.

Long story short -- batting could be cut up and used to stuff things.
    :-)
    CAS

I sew the strips together and use for small wallhangings. If you do fairly heavy quilting, you can use it for a lap quilt as well - the heavier quilting makes up for the fact that sewn together batting doesn't actually stay together that great. Sounds strange, but some nursing home residents wouldn't use the quilts they were given because they were 'too nice'. By telling them that EVERYTHING was bits that were left over, they seem to feel better about it and will USE the item. I have a brother who is the same way. He's afraid of wrecking something I've made, so he gets stuff made totally from scraps so that he will use it.

You can also use small smidgens to stuff objects that won't be washed. Batting doesn't drain fast enough so can get a moldy smell if you use it in stuffed animals and such, but some things like ornaments never get washed anyway.

Blog Entries
    I save them too and practice make sure tension and stitches are ok

thank goodness I save all of mine too. I needed to correct a quillow by adding a border and the strips were exactly 3 inches for the pillow part and just long enough. I also use them in pincushions, and as some stuffings. The flatter kind like warm and natural I have also use to make book markers. There are alot of uses as mentioned above.
    Last edited by crtwelvecats; 07-20-2012 at 02:36 PM.

Blog Entries
    What a fantastic thread! One I have not seen yet it to make a design board with them. Purchase one of those big craft cards that takes pins, open out your stapler and nail those scraps on there. Then you have a board that you can audition pieces on, and it takes pins too!

If the scraps are wide enough (6") I use them in Kaye Woods 6 hr quilt. which is a quilt as you go. The real small pieces go into stuffing animals for the hospital or children at the abuse center or pillows
    Quiltlady

i plump up my sofa cushions when they start to get saggy.

Blog Entries
    I cut some up and mixed it with fiberfill for pillows I made at Christmas. It took a lot less stuffing that way and the pillows had a nicer feel.

Small pieces of batting are perfect for the "fun and done" method of quilt construction. You'll have to sew the strips together to get it to the size of your block. I'm currently working on a small quilt using a 4 1/2 inch block. The reason I chose that small block is to use up batting scraps.
    Happy quilting Grandma

I save them to use as an extra layer of padding behind trapunto. I'm working on an angel quilt now and the angels are really popping out with that extra layer.

Blog Entries
    Thank you, such great and useful ideas. We are getting new laminated flooring and swiffing the floors with left over batting is a great idea!

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

My grandkids use those as "bandages" to play "broken bones"...lol

Blog Entries
    Thank you for bringing this up... I have been saving these scraps and strips as just could not throw away... but hadn't figured out how to make use of them...
    What wonderful uses all of you here have shared...

I am on a tight budget so it is norm for me not to waste ANYTHING, and batting is costly. All small pieces can be used, small pieces can be be sewn together, with a wide stepped zig-zag stitch for coasters, strips I use for handles for totes and bags and when all uses are run out I use ALL and I do mean ALL of the smallest tiniest pieces of batting. fabrics and threads snippets for Fur-Baby beds using a pillow-case, my doggy loves them and pussy cats adore them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2