Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pigma pens info needed >

Pigma pens info needed

Pigma pens info needed

Old 04-22-2011, 03:48 PM

I am just now learning about pigma pens. Have no idea what they are or if they come in colors. Can any of you knowledgable folks please give me some info before I head out to try and find one or more.
What are they used for and why do I need one?
I first heard about them on the One Star Moda quilt project. They mentioned writing your name and state on the star.
What other uses do they have? Do they last a long time or are they prone to drying up/out?
Are they permanent and washable (the writing)?
Any help and advice would be appreciated. I am guessing that most fabric stores and chains carry them?
Thanks so much.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:55 PM

I bought some because I thought I was going to get guests to sign a birthday quilt I made for my friend but then I decided against the signing..I have experimented with them though...they have .1mm and up...they are super fine...I found the .1 was too too thin but that is what was recommended in the pattern...
These liners are pigmented ink...they are archival and acid free...so they are safe for fabrics..they are also waterproof on paper and photo safe...my package says that the cap can be left off for 18 hours without drying out..but I haven't tested that...my brand Staedtler...made in Germany...bought at Business Depot (in Toronto)
Old 04-22-2011, 03:56 PM

fine tip--writes well no spreading--i always heat set---but they dry out even when stored horozontal--never fell i get my moneys worth
Old 04-22-2011, 03:58 PM

After going to Joanne's and Hancocks looking for the brown pigma pen requested by the One Star Moda project, the salesperson at Hancocks told me to go to Michaels where they sell them individually. Since that project specified a brown pigma I wanted to use it and I did not want to buy a whole set of various colors as Joann's and Hancocks had. The set is expensive and I would probably never use them. According to the labels, they are archival quality and do not wash out or destroy the fabric. I think scrap bookers use them alot. After I used it on my blocks I couls see why they specified them. They do not bleed or run into the fabric when writing and it looked very nice.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:07 PM

Bought in the same place for the same reason. I have normally used black...........I also heat set.

Originally Posted by suern3
After going to Joanne's and Hancocks looking for the brown pigma pen requested by the One Star Moda project, the salesperson at Hancocks told me to go to Michaels where they sell them individually. Since that project specified a brown pigma I wanted to use it and I did not want to buy a whole set of various colors as Joann's and Hancocks had. The set is expensive and I would probably never use them. According to the labels, they are archival quality and do not wash out or destroy the fabric. I think scrap bookers use them alot. After I used it on my blocks I couls see why they specified them. They do not bleed or run into the fabric when writing and it looked very nice.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:10 PM
Power Poster

I like the .05 size for signatures. heat set with your iron for a few seconds. Micron Pigma pens should be available in lots of places. online keepsakequilting.com has them, plus many other companies.
and when wanting to use the pens, always wash your fabric but do not add water/fabric softeners.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:27 PM

hobby lobby carries them also in the art pen dept-get and use a coupon to save.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:32 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by suern3
.....I did not want to buy a whole set of various colors as Joann's and Hancocks had. The set is expensive and I would probably never use them.....

Sue, I use mine all the time to make labels for my quilts! Even if I print out the labels on my ink jet printer, I still often color in a desig around the edges of the label. Couldn't live without my Pigma pens in 01, 05, and BR(ush), and many colors!

Jan in VA
Old 04-22-2011, 04:49 PM

Pigma Pens do come in many colors. I get them at Michaels or A.C. Moore Craft store using a coupon. I love saving a few dollars anytime I can.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:15 PM

they are great to use to outline and trace patterns whether it be on fabric or paper. I did the Tricia Cribbs Love Covers and traced all 12 blocks using my lightbox and the Pigma pens. Instead of hand embroidering the blocks, used fabric paints to fill in and color the blocks. Great for signing friendship quilt blocks, too.