Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pinwheels driving me batty >

Pinwheels driving me batty

Pinwheels driving me batty

Old 03-19-2014, 06:33 AM

Default Pinwheels driving me batty

I'm making some pinwheel blocks that are 6.5" but I'm having a problem with the center seam. My new Brother is having problems getting over the center seam when I sew the two sides together - it's like the point where the six seams converge is bogging down the machine. I've tried pressing the seams open to reduce bulk but that doesn't seem to help much. I've used starch, I've tried steam. Nothing really makes a difference. I went back to the Janome because it doesn't really have this problem, but I'm not sure why the Brother isn't doing a better job with this. I have turned on the automatic height adjustment, but it doesn't seem to be "enough" if you know what I mean. Obviously, I can use the 8900 to make this quilt, but I'm a bit disappointed because I really wanted to use my NEW machine.

Or is it that I'm doing something wrong in the construction? Any suggestions on that??
Old 03-19-2014, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

Try starting your seam from the center of your pinwheel block. Then flip it over and do the other side. This allows you to furl the seam in the center as well.

Edited to add you can also try this method from Green fairy but I'm not sure it will help with your machine bogging down at the center. It will help avoid the bulk in the finished unit though.
http://www.greenfairyquiltsblog.com/...lat-seams.html
Old 03-19-2014, 06:42 AM

Some times going slower over an area where a lot of seams come together help. I would definitely ask my dealer about it if you purchased it in your area. I don't think that is too much bulk to be asking your machine to handle - maybe they have a trick or two up their sleeves that will help you.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Try starting your seam from the center of your pinwheel block. Then flip it over and do the other side. This allows you to furl the seam in the center as well.

Edited to add you can also try this method from Green fairy but I'm not sure it will help with your machine bogging down at the center. It will help avoid the bulk in the finished unit though.
http://www.greenfairyquiltsblog.com/...lat-seams.html

I will try both techniques. :-) At this point, whatever I can do to get these blasted pinwheels made!
Old 03-19-2014, 07:43 AM

One last little thing - is the needle in your new machine nice and sharp? Might try a new needle even if the machine is brand new. Whenever I'm struggling to get over seam "lumps", a fresh needle seems to help.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:00 PM
Power Poster

I have made several pinwheel quilts and never had a problem sewing the center seams. Maybe lessen the pressure on the foot a bit.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:54 PM

Part of the reason that the Janome 8900 does a better job on the bulky pinwheels is because they revamped their 1/4" foot so that there is a space for the bulk to fit into as it passes under the foot. I broke my old foot and went to buy a new one. Noticed the difference between the feet. Made a BIG difference in sewing those center seams with 8 seams coming into them. I think the old one was an "O" foot and the new one is an "O2". Maybe the Brother has an optional foot like that. Ann
Old 03-20-2014, 02:41 AM

You also might want to lengthen your stitch length a hair for sewing those center seams. Maybe the default settings on each machine are different and that might be why one is working better than the other going over those bulky seams?
Old 03-20-2014, 03:23 AM

My machine has a needle down option for quilting, which automatically brings the presser foot up. If I am concerned about thickness in a very bulky seam, I will sometimes stop one or two stitches into it. This allows all that bulk to relax and when the presser foot comes back down it is automatically on top of the bulk rather than trying to push forward and adjust to the bulk.

Good luck - sometimes each machine has its quirks that you have to learn to work with. This works for me even on my inexpensive brother that I use for classes.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:29 AM

Are you using a walking foot? That's the only way my daughter's Brother will work on thick fabrics or seams, sandwich blocks, etc.