Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this winter driving you batty?

Is this winter driving you batty?

Hockeyrabbit, in another poist, mentioned that she is going batty this winter. I feel the same way.
    Seems like the winter 'blahs' are really bad this year...... due to the weather.
    How many others feel the that way?

Count me in. Yesterday with the windchill it was minus 49 degrees. On March 1st! Sheesh.

I think we better get used to longer and colder than usual winters. Hub says that is the forecasted trend. I already think I am brave to live in Canada - the Great White North.... (what were my ancestors thinking?)....

Who was it said there was "global warming"? LOL. Not around here!
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

Blog Entries
    Not so much going batty, but have finally figured out why I've been having watery, itchy eyes, sneezing, going thru Kleenex (like Grant took Richmond). I'm allergic to snow!!. Ever since the first of the year, I've had this problem.

The last couple of weeks have truly tested my patience. I am so fortunate to be retired. I don't have to drive to and from work in all kinds of lousy road conditions and frigid temps. Don't have to risk falling in icy parking lots. I've spent literally weeks sewing like crazy and completed several UFO's. Now I'm feeling burned out from so much sewing and reading. Would love to see an early spring but frankly, don't think that will happen this year.

I'm not the only one in the family that is tired of the winter.. The dog is not even asking not go out unless he really has to.. Just going for a short walk requires putting on a jacket.. If there is snow, or slush, he needs boots.. He lyed down, and refused to get up, as he had ice balls in between his pads, and there is ice melt that was burning his pads..

Hi SouthP,
    Good to see you.
    Great job on all those UFO's!
    Yes, going stir-crazy!
    "He who masters the grey everyday is a hero."
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/PeachPalaceDesigns

If the roads are okay to drive, I get out and go somewhere and do something. I don't like to stay shut in the house very long. When I can't drive I keep the drapes and curtains open and open the outside doors to the glass storm door. It makes a difference when having to be shut in to see the outside.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniePenny View Post
    Hi SouthP,
    Good to see you.
    Great job on all those UFO's!
    Yes, going stir-crazy!
    We'll all turn into self appointed Hermits before too long, if we haven't already

Not nearly as much as my DH who does not have time consuming indoor hobbies. I wish he would get into making fishing flies or something. HE is the one going nuts.

it almost killed us on the highway last night.

the car two ahead lost control, the car in front spun out and we 360'd across three lanes of traffic. 2 inches of snow on top of -15 and i think the 401 was an ice rink of epic proportions.

none of us hit each other, were hit by oncoming cars or went off the road. we are so incredibly lucky.

i have never been so scared in a car in my life.

aileen

Power Poster
    i was hoping spring was here but only warm today and then tomorrow 1-3 inches of snow this has been awful.
    QUILTNMO

I'm completely done with winter this year. By now its usually 40 degrees and the crocus are showing. This year we still have 2 feet of snow and there's more predicted for tonight!!! Blah!!!!! Enough!!
    Kookie (Patti)

Well Ladies and Gents you know what they say "If March comes in like a Lion then it will go out like a Lamb" Praying it holds true this March.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

Blog Entries
    I think we are all fortunate to be retired (a lot of us) and not have to go out into the elements everyday, anymore. We have a roof over our head, food on the table, and a stash in our sewing rooms. Guess we are making the best of this lousy, miserable winter. We should be thawed out by June!

Quote Originally Posted by Suze9395 View Post
    Not nearly as much as my DH who does not have time consuming indoor hobbies. I wish he would get into making fishing flies or something. HE is the one going nuts.
    Yep, I'm more than ready for SPRING! I feel your pain, Suze9395. DH doesn't have indoor hobbies either. Keeps dragging me off to cross-country ski or snowshoe...when I'd rather be in my cozy little sewing room. He's mentioned ice fishing more than once, but that's where I'm drawing the line. It's just TOO cold to sit on a bucket - on a frozen lake, staring at a little hole in the ice. Not going there.
    Jo

Quote Originally Posted by stillclock View Post
    it almost killed us on the highway last night.

the car two ahead lost control, the car in front spun out and we 360'd across three lanes of traffic. 2 inches of snow on top of -15 and i think the 401 was an ice rink of epic proportions.

none of us hit each other, were hit by oncoming cars or went off the road. we are so incredibly lucky.

i have never been so scared in a car in my life.

aileen
    That must have been terrible. I'm so glad you are OK.
    "He who masters the grey everyday is a hero."
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/PeachPalaceDesigns

I'm pondering your question as I sit hear listening to the ice pellets hit the windows on the north side of our home. So glad I don't have to go out tomorrow because after tonight's freeze/snow the roads will be impossible. I know spring is coming because the trees are starting to bud out and my allergies are kicking in, but it just doesn't seem like it today!
    Miss Rita

I just keep saying it's always sunny in the sewing room, although mine is in the basement. I don't have to look at the snow and maybe when I come out it will be spring with warmer weather. This winter has been like we used to have when I was a child, snow before Thanksgiving and then the rest of the winter as well. This too shall pass! As long as I have fabric I'm ok.
    Debra

I drive for a car rental company 3 or 4 days a week and I'm tired of the snowy, the minus cold and the ice. Right now are roads are llike washboards. We set a record in my city for having below zero weather for March 1. I'm more than ready for spring.

Pat in MN

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in Minnesota View Post
    I think we are all fortunate to be retired (a lot of us) and not have to go out into the elements everyday, anymore. We have a roof over our head, food on the table, and a stash in our sewing rooms. Guess we are making the best of this lousy, miserable winter. We should be thawed out by June!
    I don't know, going to work everyday helps break it up. However, we do car pull and work in the same department at work--and they are awesome about letting us work from home on bad days, which is much appreciated!

But, up north, that would probably be EVERYDAY!
    So I will keep any real whining to myself. -49 is just plain insane!!

Wishing wishes for warmth for you all!

Blog Entries
    I am so bummed...the weatherman said snow early in the morning and then today...so far none. We missed my Aunts 90th birthday today, because we did not want to get stuck in a snow storm. She lives 3 hours away in Vermont. ; (

I am tired of how COLD this Winter is!!! Please Spring come already!!!!
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in Minnesota View Post
    Agreed Sandra!! But.. you know we only have two seasons here...winter and road construction!! Need those huge potholes filled!!

Blog Entries
    Today, we will have another snow day at school because we got 5-6 inches of snow yesterday with sleet and ice and it will be -7 this morning when it is time for the kids to be at the bus stop.

I warned my students on Friday that we might not have school on Monday and my 7th graders were not excited at all. They are officially tired of snow days. I think they realize we have to make the days up when the weather is really nice. Today is snow day #7 for us.

We also broke a 36 year old record for the coldest March 1st. Nothing to be thrilled about!

But, I'm up late cutting out applique and will be sewing all day tomorrow. I have to make the best of it! I ordered a Silhouette Cameo this weekend and wish I had it here to play with, but it will take about a week to get here. Drats!
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast