Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Plans for sewing room after I'm gone. >

Plans for sewing room after I'm gone.

Plans for sewing room after I'm gone.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:26 PM

So sorry for the loss of your sister. Prayers and hugs to you and your family at this sad time.

I guess I am in the minority...when I die, my family can do as they please with all my stuff. Yes, I have a few things to give to my sons and stepdaughter, but no one in my family is a quilter (or even crafty), so I can suggest what to do with my sewing things, but it is truly up to them in the long run. Just my opinion.

Again, my condolences on your loss.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:43 PM

I am determined to finish as many of my UFO's as I can. My sewing machines I'm sure will go to my 4 daughters. The fabric will go to the Deseret Industries a local charity.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:06 PM

Gail,

I'm so sorry for your loss of your sister.

My DD is an only child and the person who inherits in my will. She can do whatever she wants with what I leave. I left her an inventory of my machines and their cost/worth and I hope to have my fabric stash reduced with the scrap quilt tops I'm making these days. There will be lots of rulers, tools, patterns, ribbons, beads, buttons, fiberfill, and other miscellaneous stuff to take care of as well.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:19 PM
Power Poster

So sorry about your sister.

I have no family members who are interested in my stuff. I told Mr Stitchnripper if I go first to let the quilt shop up the road know and to have them disburse as they see fit. Since we moved here in December I have been going there on Fridays to quilt with the ladies. All very nice and will know what to do with it all charity-wise. I don't have much of a stash but have several nice vintage machines
Old 08-25-2016, 06:26 PM

My DH will probably check with my quilting buddy/mentor before doing anything with my stuff. There's not much in the way of fabrics but there are machines.

But my main point in posting in this thread...some of you have mentioned hand-written instructions to add to your will. Please be sure to have those notarized at a minimum. My father passed away earlier this year and had made some (minor) hand-written changes to his will. Long story short - it's been a process getting those changes accepted by the probate court. But I would recommend that if you have lots of specifics as to who gets what or how things are to be disposed, please just update your will. Your heirs will thank you.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:47 PM

Gail, so sorry about the loss of your sister. I think 2 weeks to clear out her sewing stuff is short, but my step MIL had given my FIL's clothes away before the funeral arrangements were made! So that when I asked to do a memory quilt, there were almost no items to use.

In my quilt journal, I list which of the kids gets each of the quilts I'm made & kept. And my DDsews and quilts,so she will get all the rulers, fabric, etc. Don't know about my long arm--both my kids kind of like it!
Old 08-25-2016, 09:29 PM

So sorry for the loss of your sister. Hugs and prayers to you and your family at this sad time.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:18 PM
Power Poster

Gail, I'm so sorry you have lost your sister.

I think when husbands are in a big hurry to dispose of wife's craft supplies, it lets you know how much her passion got under his skin! Some men are actually jealous of the time and money spent on anything other than doting on him. So to see somebody BURNING their wife's left behind fabric stash, really tells that tale.

I am going to try to unload some of my vintage machines and get the 'herd' down to a much smaller size before anything happens to me. Ditto on stash. But ultimately, I don't care what anyone does with my stuff after I am gone. I won't be here and I guarantee you I won't care.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by daisydawg View Post
I am working on who gets my "treasures" when I am gone. I don't want it to end up in a thrift store. I don't have a huge stash but folks who are going to benefit from what I do have will be very happy to receive it.

Guild members love to shop the local thrift stores. I cannot imagine that anyone besides a quilter would buy them fabric, etc.

I often think of how I would have to dispose of my DH hobbies, multiple junk cars, motorcyles, boats, tools, etc. He knows that my plan is to call the local auction house to have at it! ( DH only pays bargain prices so the "value" of his toys are neglible IMHO.)

sandy
Old 08-26-2016, 02:40 AM

What my daughter and grand daughter do not want, goes to the St. Joseph Orphanage quilting group. They make beautiful quilts that are raffled off at the annual summer picnic.