Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Plastic Templates

Do we have a tutorial on making templates out of plastic? I haven't been able to find any.

Have a look through all these threads & maybe one of them might help you, or do you have a specific question?
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/search....+making&u=&s=0

If it's one that I'm going to use a fair bit, I want something more substantial than the flimsy plastic. I take the pattern to the glass shop and say, here please!!!! And he obliges ... out of the same plastic as your quilting rulers.

Thank's. That will work.

My DH makes mine out of plexiglass and I haven't had a bit of trouble. Been using them for years.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    If it's one that I'm going to use a fair bit, I want something more substantial than the flimsy plastic. I take the pattern to the glass shop and say, here please!!!! And he obliges ... out of the same plastic as your quilting rulers.

What a great idea...my husband just retired....another thing to add to his "honey-do" list....thanks....

Drat my husband is too busy caving wood to make me good templates. So I just use the bendable plastic cutting boards you can get periodically at the dollar store (2 per package). These only work for marking, not for using with rotary cutters.
    Kat

Most quilt shops sell template plastic. Patterns that require templates for piecing will say whether or not the seam allowance is included. Make copies of the templates, cut them out including seam allowance, glue them to the template plastic and cut them out with scissors (other than your good ones...LOL), lay them out on your fabric, lay your ruler on top lining up the edges and cut them out using your rotary cutter. The upside of doing it this way is you save $$$ by not having to buy expensive plexiglass and the template plastic takes up less room to store, the downside is you have an extra step by using your ruler on top of the templates. I don't have a lot of extra time to do this, but I know I have more time than I do $$$, so this is the method I use. I'm not saying this is the only way to do it, it's just what works for me. By all means, use the technique that works for you. I took a paper piecing class and this is the technique the teacher taught. I've always shied away from patterns requiring templates because I thought they would be a pain. Doing them this way has allowed me to make quilts using templates, ones that never would have gotten made otherwise. Good luck in whatever method you use! :c)

Blog Entries
    What tool does your DH use to cut the plexiglass? Thanks

My husband makes my plexiglass templates on the scroll saw. Works great! :thumbup:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast