Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Plastic Templates

Do we have a tutorial on making templates out of plastic? I haven't been able to find any.

Have a look through all these threads & maybe one of them might help you, or do you have a specific question?
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/search....+making&u=&s=0

If it's one that I'm going to use a fair bit, I want something more substantial than the flimsy plastic. I take the pattern to the glass shop and say, here please!!!! And he obliges ... out of the same plastic as your quilting rulers.

Thank's. That will work.

My DH makes mine out of plexiglass and I haven't had a bit of trouble. Been using them for years.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    If it's one that I'm going to use a fair bit, I want something more substantial than the flimsy plastic. I take the pattern to the glass shop and say, here please!!!! And he obliges ... out of the same plastic as your quilting rulers.

What a great idea...my husband just retired....another thing to add to his "honey-do" list....thanks....

Drat my husband is too busy caving wood to make me good templates. So I just use the bendable plastic cutting boards you can get periodically at the dollar store (2 per package). These only work for marking, not for using with rotary cutters.
    Kat

Most quilt shops sell template plastic. Patterns that require templates for piecing will say whether or not the seam allowance is included. Make copies of the templates, cut them out including seam allowance, glue them to the template plastic and cut them out with scissors (other than your good ones...LOL), lay them out on your fabric, lay your ruler on top lining up the edges and cut them out using your rotary cutter. The upside of doing it this way is you save $$$ by not having to buy expensive plexiglass and the template plastic takes up less room to store, the downside is you have an extra step by using your ruler on top of the templates. I don't have a lot of extra time to do this, but I know I have more time than I do $$$, so this is the method I use. I'm not saying this is the only way to do it, it's just what works for me. By all means, use the technique that works for you. I took a paper piecing class and this is the technique the teacher taught. I've always shied away from patterns requiring templates because I thought they would be a pain. Doing them this way has allowed me to make quilts using templates, ones that never would have gotten made otherwise. Good luck in whatever method you use! :c)

Blog Entries
    What tool does your DH use to cut the plexiglass? Thanks

My husband makes my plexiglass templates on the scroll saw. Works great! :thumbup:

I got my plexiglass at the local hardware store. Just ask for scraps and they will give it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by twinkie
    My DH makes mine out of plexiglass and I haven't had a bit of trouble. Been using them for years.

You're fortunate to have a DH who can/will do it for you!

Does your husband use the scroll saw as well? or what?
    Any problems with chipping or breakage?
    I might consider trying it myself ... though the glass company have been pretty reasonable re pricing that it may be less expensive than the tools and more so, the frustration of getting it precise! :)

Blog Entries
    Have you ever purchased the self laminating sheets? The kind that don't require a machine. I buy the 8.5 x 11 inch and I always keep the protective sheet just for templates. They are very heavy. I don't know why anyone would toss that part of the package.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Luscious Marilyn
    Have you ever purchased the self laminating sheets? The kind that don't require a machine. I buy the 8.5 x 11 inch and I always keep the protective sheet just for templates. They are very heavy. I don't know why anyone would toss that part of the package.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Could you explain this a little bit more? For whatever reason, my mind went out to lunch and hasn't returned yet.
    What self laminating sheets? For quilting originally or woodworking? What protective sheet?

He sharpens the back of a razor knife. He draws it along the Plexiglas two or three times (somewhat like you would glass) and then he snaps it just like glass. Then he takes a file and runs it over it a few times to make sure that it is smooth. He found a scroll saw had a tendency to melt the Plexiglas if you run it too fast. If you have a variable speed scroll saw it would work well on a slower speed. I have never had a problem with any of them he has made for me.

Quote Originally Posted by joyce888
    What tool does your DH use to cut the plexiglass? Thanks

Blog Entries
    That is a fantastic idea. Thanks for sharing that with us. I never would have thought about doing that.

Blog Entries
    Some of us use "self sealing" laminate sheets to cover a book or a recipe card, to keep the recipe card or book clean ( a few examples)
    These "self sealing" laminate sheets don't require a machine. The package of 5 or 10 sheets can be purchased at Target or Wal-mart, you can buy a very small package of five for under $4. When you open the package, there is a strong plastic sheet that is discarded, and that is exactly what I'm referring to as a great template for quilting. You would trace a pattern onto that heavy plastic sheet, that normally would end up in the garbage. If you have never laminated any thing it may be hard to understand, you just have to waste the $4 and see what I mean. For $4 you only get 5 sheets and they measure about 4"x6".

i have a hot laminater and simply put in one sheet with the design i wish to create the templat from in between the plastic sheets and then put the second plastic set on top that. pop into the card protector and laminate as normal they all fuse together and that way you get the thickness and can actually still cut out the shapes that you want.
    store in zip lock bags for safe keeping with a printed copy of the original design for future referance
    annie in the uk

Banned
    don't know if this is good but a lady Iknow uses the side of a 4 pint plastic milk bottle to do small templates.

Banned
    don't know if this is good but a lady Iknow uses the side of a 4 pint plastic milk bottle to do small templates.

On the 1st of the month when my money catches back up with my month, I have a printed page of templates that I am going to take to the glass shop just down the street. It is for a specific pattern. I also have a broken mirror that I will have cut into 2 rectangles that I will hinge together with duct tape.

I have bought template plastic and cut my own, but managed to shave them down bit by bit if not careful.

thanks!