Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Plastic Templates >

Plastic Templates

Plastic Templates

Old 05-17-2011, 09:00 AM

I got my plexiglass at the local hardware store. Just ask for scraps and they will give it to you.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by twinkie
My DH makes mine out of plexiglass and I haven't had a bit of trouble. Been using them for years.

Originally Posted by QuiltE
If it's one that I'm going to use a fair bit, I want something more substantial than the flimsy plastic. I take the pattern to the glass shop and say, here please!!!! And he obliges ... out of the same plastic as your quilting rulers.
You're fortunate to have a DH who can/will do it for you!

Does your husband use the scroll saw as well? or what?
Any problems with chipping or breakage?
I might consider trying it myself ... though the glass company have been pretty reasonable re pricing that it may be less expensive than the tools and more so, the frustration of getting it precise! :)
Old 05-17-2011, 10:41 AM

Have you ever purchased the self laminating sheets? The kind that don't require a machine. I buy the 8.5 x 11 inch and I always keep the protective sheet just for templates. They are very heavy. I don't know why anyone would toss that part of the package.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Luscious Marilyn
Have you ever purchased the self laminating sheets? The kind that don't require a machine. I buy the 8.5 x 11 inch and I always keep the protective sheet just for templates. They are very heavy. I don't know why anyone would toss that part of the package.
----------------------------------------------------------
Could you explain this a little bit more? For whatever reason, my mind went out to lunch and hasn't returned yet.
What self laminating sheets? For quilting originally or woodworking? What protective sheet?
Old 05-17-2011, 06:03 PM
Power Poster

He sharpens the back of a razor knife. He draws it along the Plexiglas two or three times (somewhat like you would glass) and then he snaps it just like glass. Then he takes a file and runs it over it a few times to make sure that it is smooth. He found a scroll saw had a tendency to melt the Plexiglas if you run it too fast. If you have a variable speed scroll saw it would work well on a slower speed. I have never had a problem with any of them he has made for me.

Originally Posted by joyce888
What tool does your DH use to cut the plexiglass? Thanks
Old 05-18-2011, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
If it's one that I'm going to use a fair bit, I want something more substantial than the flimsy plastic. I take the pattern to the glass shop and say, here please!!!! And he obliges ... out of the same plastic as your quilting rulers.
That is a fantastic idea. Thanks for sharing that with us. I never would have thought about doing that.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:04 PM

Some of us use "self sealing" laminate sheets to cover a book or a recipe card, to keep the recipe card or book clean ( a few examples)
These "self sealing" laminate sheets don't require a machine. The package of 5 or 10 sheets can be purchased at Target or Wal-mart, you can buy a very small package of five for under $4. When you open the package, there is a strong plastic sheet that is discarded, and that is exactly what I'm referring to as a great template for quilting. You would trace a pattern onto that heavy plastic sheet, that normally would end up in the garbage. If you have never laminated any thing it may be hard to understand, you just have to waste the $4 and see what I mean. For $4 you only get 5 sheets and they measure about 4"x6".
Old 05-20-2011, 02:06 AM

i have a hot laminater and simply put in one sheet with the design i wish to create the templat from in between the plastic sheets and then put the second plastic set on top that. pop into the card protector and laminate as normal they all fuse together and that way you get the thickness and can actually still cut out the shapes that you want.
store in zip lock bags for safe keeping with a printed copy of the original design for future referance
annie in the uk
Old 05-24-2011, 08:42 AM
Banned

don't know if this is good but a lady Iknow uses the side of a 4 pint plastic milk bottle to do small templates.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:42 AM
Banned

don't know if this is good but a lady Iknow uses the side of a 4 pint plastic milk bottle to do small templates.