Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
PLEASE HELP I need some guidance on organizing my stash. Problem- shelves too deep. >

PLEASE HELP I need some guidance on organizing my stash. Problem- shelves too deep.

PLEASE HELP I need some guidance on organizing my stash. Problem- shelves too deep.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:48 AM

I think you could take one of two approaches. First, get clear medium sized bins and put in those- Costco or Sams may have them in bulk at a good cost. Or you could take fabric (folded like it comes off bolt) and using the ruler method fold it so it ends up being approximately
7" X 11" roughly. 44"/2= 22 then folded in half makes it 11" deep. Then put on your shelves by color and since you have LOTS you could do two deep on your shelf. When you stack up fabric that way by color you quickly SEE pieces that need to be together in a quilt. For small pieces or scraps clear shoe boxes work really well - the IRIS brand seems to hold the most- no rounded corners on those. There is just one problem with all of this organizational stuff - it is like laundry - it just keeps needing to be done over and over again. Good Luck!
Old 05-14-2011, 09:52 AM

I used 8x10 cardboard, iron the fabric and wrap it like a bolt at the store. Only work on a small section each day, maybe an hour or 2, it will be done before you know it

Hugs and good luck coming your way
Old 05-14-2011, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by patski
I used 8x10 cardboard, iron the fabric and wrap it like a bolt at the store. Only work on a small section each day, maybe an hour or 2, it will be done before you know it

You definitely need to reward yourself with some sewing!!!
Don't try to make it a marathon!

.... you need breaks and what better way than to sit and sew for a bit as you contemplate what and how to do the next phase. Justification, indeed!!!
Old 05-14-2011, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Nanjun
Maybe you could store some books behind your fabric boards
to take up some space.
Hi Nanjun, that's a good idea. I was looking at my books and they really don't get used much. I used to have more but just kept my favs. They are in a narrow free-standing unit with 4 shelves (I think) I could probably make better use of that unit for fabrics. I don't think it shows in the pic.
Thank you!
Old 05-14-2011, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by roxie623
Sue it looks like your shelves are 24" wide not deep. Measure from the wall out to the edge of the shelf. the reason I'm suggesting this is because of the plastic bin on the shelf. It appears to be pushed back against the wall. I would use the plastic bins and also fold and stack some of the larger cuts. Use baskets to hold FQ, sm boxes covered in fabric, etc... You are so lucky to have so many shelves.
Hi Roxie, they really are 24 inches deep. They are probably around double that in width, just guessing. It's one of those closets with the double doors that my DH took off for me and made the shelves. That bin you see in the pic is really long. I like the idea of baskets too, and since I live in Longaberger country I've collected quite a few :)
Stopped collecting them but have more than I need.
Thanks!
Old 05-14-2011, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Originally Posted by patski

You definitely need to reward yourself with some sewing!!!
Don't try to make it a marathon!

.... you need breaks and what better way than to sit and sew for a bit as you contemplate what and how to do the next phase. Justification, indeed!!!
I don't know why I'm so manic about this!!! I just took a nice long shower and a snuggle with one of my cats :D
But I honestly don't feeling like sewing right now lol Thank you!
Old 05-14-2011, 10:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by justflyingin
Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts

This experience is hopefully going to enable me to curtail the impulse spending. (No snickering) hahahaha

Sue
This is so funny... But seriously, it does tend to help you realize that you don't actually NEED certain fabrics...just that you want them. It does help...it really does. If you have fabrics that you love and want to use, it makes you eager to get in your sewing room and sew!!!

And I wouldn't put my sewing machine down low on a shelf that you have to "set up" each time. Why do that? I'd leave it on top of a table and just cover it with a machine cover so it's ready in an instant to sew. (someone mentioned earlier in this thread that you might find room on a lower shelf for machines, if I remember right.)

Keep up the good work. I took on the task of folding my fabrics, but since I don't have shelving, I just use big plastic bins...organized by color--using the ruler method of folding. It was cheap, organized, and other people could help me. I actually paid two other ladies to do it since they needed money and I wanted to spend my time sewing, not folding fabric.

I love how easy it is to see the fabric in my bins after the folding project. I'm still uncovering things I need to fold, though...but also as we folded (I did a lot of it, too), I took the smaller pieces, threw them in one spot, and started cutting them into strips as per Bonnie Hunter's website to be used in scrap quilts. This gets rid of tiny odds and ends out of the boxes and gives me "great pieces for scrap quilts." :) Now I have so many 1.5" strips and 2" strips...
I love this idea, thanks!!!!!!!! :thumbup:
Old 05-14-2011, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by baggybum1
why not measure the hight of each shelf and then get some fibre board cut to size this can then be slid into place so seperating the shelf into narrower sections ,, now simply fold the fabric into colours and stack. you can see at a glance what you have and if arranged in rainbow colours you will also be able to see matching fabrics. hope this helps.
I do not have this problem as hubby said i can get to keep all the fabric i can hide, the only problem i now have is climbing the ladder to get into bed and adding fabric onto the bottom of the valance sheet
annie in the uk
Annie, you're so funny!!! PLEASE no ladders for me!!! lol I may get some of those boards that MILate has :)
Thank you!
Old 05-14-2011, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by LindaaJR
I am thinking using the tubs like drawers without the tops on them. I hope this makes sense.
Linda
Yes it does, Linda, thank you!! :D
Old 05-14-2011, 10:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by withinaquarterinch
I agree on the fabric folding around the 6 1/2 ruler and then folding in half to get a piece of fabric that is about 22 inches deep.

The other thing I would suggest is to then get a way to make the shelves less tall as well.

In the kitchen section at Walmart they have shelf dividers for plates and cups and things. I have used those with much success.

This way, you can stack the fabric up high but taking out the bottom one doesn't tumble them all over!

Here is a picture from my old studio in the last house.
That looks wonderful !! :thumbup: