Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
PLEASE HELP I need some guidance on organizing my stash. Problem- shelves too deep. >

PLEASE HELP I need some guidance on organizing my stash. Problem- shelves too deep.

PLEASE HELP I need some guidance on organizing my stash. Problem- shelves too deep.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by moreland
I used plastic boxes that were about 16 x 10x 7 inches. I put them on their sides on the shelves which made it easy to pull a box off without having to dig it out from under something. Also the boxes are not truly clear, but you can see what colors are in the box without taking the lid off.
Here is the link that shows a picture of what I'm talking about.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-33984-1.htm

If this is interesting to you, PM me--I've since change my method and have a bunch of empty boxes you might be interested in.
Rachel, that looks good! I have a lot of those bins, that's one good thing :thumbup:
Old 05-14-2011, 10:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by justflyingin
Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts

This experience is hopefully going to enable me to curtail the impulse spending. (No snickering) hahahaha

Sue
This is so funny... But seriously, it does tend to help you realize that you don't actually NEED certain fabrics...just that you want them. It does help...it really does. If you have fabrics that you love and want to use, it makes you eager to get in your sewing room and sew!!!

And I wouldn't put my sewing machine down low on a shelf that you have to "set up" each time. Why do that? I'd leave it on top of a table and just cover it with a machine cover so it's ready in an instant to sew. (someone mentioned earlier in this thread that you might find room on a lower shelf for machines, if I remember right.)

Keep up the good work. I took on the task of folding my fabrics, but since I don't have shelving, I just use big plastic bins...organized by color--using the ruler method of folding. It was cheap, organized, and other people could help me. I actually paid two other ladies to do it since they needed money and I wanted to spend my time sewing, not folding fabric.

I love how easy it is to see the fabric in my bins after the folding project. I'm still uncovering things I need to fold, though...but also as we folded (I did a lot of it, too), I took the smaller pieces, threw them in one spot, and started cutting them into strips as per Bonnie Hunter's website to be used in scrap quilts. This gets rid of tiny odds and ends out of the boxes and gives me "great pieces for scrap quilts." :) Now I have so many 1.5" strips and 2" strips...
Love the idea of cutting up scraps for ready made projects!
My Bernina stays where it is but I have vintage Singers that I like to use also. But as you can see I can't use anything right now lol
That's why I've been in my kitchen with my FW- fun, but not the answer hehe
Thank you!
PS. Geeezzzz I'm getting "punchy"- I already replied to you :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Old 05-14-2011, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

Along with all this organization ... if you don't have a design wall, include it in the master plan!! :) (even if it means putting the closet doors back on to achieve that:))
Old 05-14-2011, 11:46 AM

I found wrapping my fabric around a ruler and then folding keeps it a consistant size for easy stacking. My shelves are custom made by my hubby in his cabinet shop. They are 15 inches deep. I use plastic boxes that fruits and veggies come in for charm squares and jelly-roll sized strips that I cut from scraps instead of storing a bunch of loose scraps. Zip lock bags on the bottom shelf store some pieces of fabric combinations that I've already made things with that I want to make throw pillows or wall hangings with and wasn't ready to cut into my storage sized smaller cuts.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-196912.jpe  
Old 05-14-2011, 11:53 AM

I would get foam board at Michael's and cut board to wrap fabric around and they stand up. In front of them you could have your fat quarters and half yards folded, group all your fabric by color, seasonal etc .
Old 05-14-2011, 11:58 AM

I think you are in my sewing room. I just bought cntaiinersI can see through and put my stash in them and stacked them up on the wall and I have lotw of room now and the mess is gone. my friend puts her ft qts in color ranges , like the color wheel but I do not have that kind of patients.
Chrickett
Old 05-14-2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
And I'll take 25% of the stash!!
(aren't I kind?)

How deep are the shelves?
What about a bunch of plastic bins that you can sort into?
No, won't be as pretty as seeing all your fabric.
You could get the clear plastic bins. Then you could still see your fabric.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:47 PM

I roll my fabric on cut cardboards from bolts in stores Yes they will not only solve your problem but you can actually see what you have Good Luck to you what ever you decide
Old 05-14-2011, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by rushdoggie
I like plastic bins or even boxes that you can use like drawers...slide them in and out to get what you want. You can always decorate the outside to make them look pretty.
but, be aware of weight. I put all of my fabric in shallow plastic boxes with lids but they are 16"wide about 24" long. they are too heavy when full for me to pull out & lift to the table which is only 18" away. they are stacked two deep, so there is the extra trouble if you want the bottom one. I am in the process of buying bins about half as long. will be two deep, but at least I can lift them out. and it will be hard to see colors. but the shelves I have are there & what I have to use. folding over a ruler really helps to smooth fabric out
and uniform size.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:18 PM

there is something called ruler folded fabric. but also you could go with the coragated plastic and wrap around like a bolt and put side to side you might have to roll a lot but ti will be worth it when you get thru.