Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
PLEASE HELP I need some guidance on organizing my stash. Problem- shelves too deep. >

PLEASE HELP I need some guidance on organizing my stash. Problem- shelves too deep.

PLEASE HELP I need some guidance on organizing my stash. Problem- shelves too deep.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by JanetM
How about the ruler method of folding fabric. Because you have such deep shelves, after folding your fabric around the 6 x 24 ruler, slip the fabric off, and just fold it once, in half. Your fabric will then measure approx. 6 x 22 (width of ruler x ½ the 44 width of fabric)

Here is a tutorial to help you,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkTlaMqRlwo
This is what I have done, on my fat quarters I stood them up so that I can see what I have , if enough you can have a small basket for every color, my baskets are wicker, I just happen to like that look, I have plastic for batting, projects started but not finished, I have a basket for patterns. The bins you have back in the corner I have a stack 3 high that sits at the back of my sewing table like a big sewing box, so while I sew everything is in reach
Old 05-14-2011, 05:07 PM

Let's see....you have someone wanting 50% and another wanting 25% and I will take 25% of your stash! So....you can start out with a clean slate and I am sure you would be able to come up with a good storage solution. :D Good Luck! You have a beautiful room to work with.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:22 PM

Fold all pieces of fabric the same size, I had a pile in front and a pile in back (fabric 2 piles deep); not the best solution but worked for me for a couple of years. Its somewhere to start.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:52 PM

A friend of mine has really deep shelves and she simply folds her fabric, then has 2 stacks deep. Works great and looks very attractive. approx. 6" wide then folds in half so it has a nice fold on the end for stacking.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:55 PM

I agree with the plastic stackable bin idea. You can colour code your fabrics as well. The disorganization in your quilt room can be distracting. This is speaking from experience. You sure have a nice space to work in. If I lived closer I'd help you organize, as I like doing this type of thing. I just like things fairly organized is all.We like some after pictures when your done.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:57 PM
Power Poster

Another idea for sorting and storing FQs .... use CD racks/shelving.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:18 PM

I'll take the other half!!!
Old 05-14-2011, 07:23 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tennessee Suzi
I'll take the other half!!!
It's long gone!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-14-2011, 07:50 PM

You need to borrow my daughter. She is a great organizer. I hope the foam boards are working for you. I thought about trying it, but...I'm lazy. If I made my fabric look to neat, I would never touch it again. :) I can't wait to see the progress on your organizing.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:09 PM

There are so many good ideas here. Work when you can be somewhat alone lolol - sip some wine cooler, play your favorite music and ROCK GIRL!!! aka dismantle everything and start anew?

Bonnie Hunter's quiltville blog has fantastic scrap organzing. Check her out.

I have seen gorgeous pictures here. HECK! I would slap anyone's hands for touching such pretty and perfect storage!
How on earth can anyone keep a quilting room so neat?! Amazing! Guessing some of us work better with a bit of confusion around the work space? I need just a bit myself.

Still thnk you have a gold mine with the large bins. Since yu have to start someplace, put large backings flat folded in them as a starter project. AND let us see your progress, please!!!! Gives us all hope lol

Julie