Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
PLEASE HELP I need some guidance on organizing my stash. Problem- shelves too deep. >

PLEASE HELP I need some guidance on organizing my stash. Problem- shelves too deep.

PLEASE HELP I need some guidance on organizing my stash. Problem- shelves too deep.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Hi everyone,
I think I figured out why I can't get organized. I have a big closet but the shelves are too deep. Does anyone have any help for me??
I'm really frustrated.
I'm going to take a pic. Please don't faint!

Thanks,
Sue

PS. Okay I took pics. I just can't get a system down and end up sewing in the kitchen on my FW.
That's NOT a solution lol
Sue, I use these plastic containers for different projects which has really helped me. Everything I need for each project is in one. As you can see I have quite a few going. I have a few larger ones that hold different colors or types of fabric. Thought maybe something like this would help or give you an idea.

storage
[ATTACH=CONFIG]196557[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-196551.jpe  
Old 05-13-2011, 11:57 AM

Put your fabric on quilt boards you get at a comic book store. Stand them up in the back of the shelves and then stack fat quarters about5" high all along the front. You can see everything and it stays neat. Search on "My Quilting Nook" to see how I did it. It is working great and I don't have nearly as much room as you do. My rack has over 100 yards on it and 200 fat quarters. Take a look.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:59 PM

I like plastic bins with lids. You can stack these on top of each other and pull them out fairly easily. You can place them on the shelves as you have space. Maybe two deep and three high or what ever fits. I like shoe box size bins or maybe a little larger.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:52 PM

Been studying your pictures. I think you need to sort your fabrics (I sort mine by color or theme) first, then decide how your are going to utilize your shelves. Could your build a shelf to go on top of the back half of your shelves. If so, then you could put some fabrics in front and some on the shelf on the back half. I don't know if I am making sense to you but think about the spice racks that look like little stair steps.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:37 PM

I'd dp the plasti bins BUT I'd put bigger, bulky stuff (like batting, fleece, etc., rolled up in the back, then one row of plastic bins in the front.

You'd be able to see the bigger things at the back over the bins, and wouldn't have to move bins in the front to see what was in bins behind.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Power Poster

Yea for your progress ... now keep at it til it's all nice and pretty!
Old 05-13-2011, 06:40 PM

Mine used to look like this. Even after I cleared up the clutter, the room always looked messy. I was so there...

I can help you with this:
I did the plastic bags with zippers (not firm enough-shifts)
I did the plastic bins (couldn't see what I had)
I did the plastic sorted containers (small w/handles - took too many)
I did the file cabinets (wanted to see them - too many dwrs.)

Finally decided the quilt shops knew what they were doing and started using fabric boards to wrap my fabric on - now I can see everything I have. Started cutting them for people here on the board and must say those of us that use them will never go back to using anything else.

You can see that my shelves are deep too. So I put large boards in the back and mediums in the front. Mine are 18" deep. The very best part is - I can see everything and don't have to buy much because I see so much that I already have and want to use all I have to do now is choose patterns and fill in a few pieces to complete the package for a particular pattern.

Here's the link if you want to get some from me.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-117356-1.htm

Whatever you go with - happy organizing! It is 100% worth the trouble and clears up all the visual clutter when the room is clean. Best part is you can feel it and be so much more inspired.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-196671.jpe  
Old 05-13-2011, 06:47 PM

My mama always said, "A messy room is a sign of a creative mind!" What about 24" long bolts laying in lengthwise??
Old 05-14-2011, 02:39 AM

Buy or make boxes that will fit into the shelves like drawers. You could fit 2 on each shelf, side by side and put a "U" shaped groove on the top rim so you can pull it out easily. That way, you can sort and carry the stash easily and even label the boxes according to colour or design etc.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:42 AM

Buy or make boxes that will fit into the shelves like drawers. You could fit 2 on each shelf, side by side and put a "U" shaped groove on the top rim so you can pull it out easily. That way, you can sort and carry the stash easily and even label the boxes according to colour or design etc.
I solved mine by buying wire baskets that stacked up inside the wardrobe. That way, I didn't have to hire a carpenter to make shelves in the hanging space.