Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please, help me with colors and values >

Please, help me with colors and values

Please, help me with colors and values

Old 02-13-2016, 08:48 AM

I would remove 10 and 12. I do not know that the floral in 12 will play well with the more abstract florals 2 and 6. The colours in 12 are ok it is just a mismatch for the print.

I am not expert and applaud you for this post. I will do something similar.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:01 AM
Power Poster

I do agree that #10 doesn't work, as all the other fabrics are shades of pink and aqua, but you might want to include a dark fabric to maybe replace #10. I do like your colors though. I've just decided to do the Craftsy 2016 BOM and I think, with the focus fabric I have chosen I will be making a quilt in similar colors; as it will be slightly different than my usual choices for quilts. Wish me luck.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I actually like #10; I think it keeps the group from being too matchy-matchy. If I cover up #10 with a finger, the group seems less interesting.
This is exactly what I was going to say. Keep 10. Our natural inclination is to go all matchy-matchy but it's boring. Fight that urge until it goes away!

#10 does work!
Old 02-14-2016, 11:24 AM
Power Poster

I would make a scrap quilt with no. 7 being the constant color fabric. Any of Bonnie Hunter's scrap patterns would work.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Silk View Post
Dear friends,

I want to use some 'not so pretty' fabrics of my stash (numbers 1 and 2 in the picture). I'm trying to find a good combination for them... I added some other fabrics and finally came with this, but I'm not sure if there's something wrong with it.

Is there any fabric that you would pull out? Maybe number 10? Or any colour I must add?

I attach the same picture in blacks and whites. I think there's a lot of mediums and it would probably need some darker fabric, but it's difficult for me to find something matching. I'm lost... I need your eyes!

The quilt I'm planning will be nine patches with white sashing. Fabric number 1 will be the backing too (I have a lot of yardage of this).

Thank you in advance.

P.S. Probably I can't answer until tomorrow night... sorry for this.
Use #10 as the border or sashings. I love it!
Old 02-20-2016, 12:19 PM

Isn't it wonderful how we all see the beauty in all the colors and fabrics yet each in a different way??!!
I always say if we all liked the same thing how dull the world would be...and the fabric store would forever be out of the fabric everyone liked! Lol.

Regards,
Kif
Old 03-08-2016, 02:25 PM

I don't think I'd include both #8 and #11 - either one is fine. Also, I think #10 might be better in another project. Do you have any batiks you could add?
Old 03-08-2016, 05:29 PM

Thanks again for all your suggestions. I put this project aside until I'm able to find the perfect fabrics... because I'm still looking for 'a dark' (I didn't suspect the task was going to be so difficult).

Do you have any batiks you could add?
I don't have any batiks... in fact, I'm still trying to find a good translation for this word, because I haven't seen anything like that in my country and I don't know how to ask for it when I go shopping.

What are the main features of this type of fabric? I see this word very often here in the board, and read on internet that they are hand dyed... but I still don't understand exactly what are all of you talking about when you say 'batiks'... please, could you explain it for me?
Old 03-08-2016, 06:43 PM

You've got what I think is a fun variety of prints and, for the most part, the colors work together for me. I'd personally take out #1 and 10. Stripes can be tricky, and two sets of stripes doubly tricky. I'd replace 1 with a tone-on-tone charcoal, and 10 with navy. How about navy sashing?