Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please Help With A Paralellogram >

Please Help With A Paralellogram

Please Help With A Paralellogram

Old 11-06-2016, 04:08 PM

Question Please Help With A Paralellogram

Hi. I'm making a quilt that calls for 3" X 1 5/8" parallelograms from a 1 5/8" strip of fabric. But how do I do that? I know how to make a 45 degree cut, but can't figure out how to measure the second 45 degree cut to make it a parallelogram. I've watched several YouTube videos but they all are different and one says measure 3" from first angle cut to the next, but that doesn't fit into the pattern.. way too big. Another one says measure 1 5/8" from first 45 degree cut to the next and to disregard the 3"... so confusing .... any easy way to do it?

Thanks!
Old 11-06-2016, 04:22 PM

Make your first cut on the 45 deg angle. From that cut put your ruler on the 3 inch marker along that cut edge
Old 11-06-2016, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
Make your first cut on the 45 deg angle. From that cut put your ruler on the 3 inch marker along that cut edge
^^^^^^^^ What she said.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by cjsews View Post

Ok so i cut the 45 degree angle cut and then from that cut side, I measure 3" over to the next 45 degree cut? Since my strip of fabric is 1 5/8 in. won't that make the diamond wonky? The corners won't match up. I'm making a star pattern. Thanks.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:12 PM
Power Poster

It's like this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiATCVSBp8M
make your first 45 degree cut, then turn your ruler 45 degrees, put the 3" mark on the edge you just cut, then make your next cut.

you are not cutting a diamond, you are cutting a parallelogram
Old 11-06-2016, 07:16 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Perhaps the graphic below will help you visualize what Paper Princess described above.

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails 45-degree-strip-cuts.jpg  
Old 11-10-2016, 03:41 PM

Thank you everyone for your help.. hopefully the squares will turn out correctly!
Old 11-10-2016, 04:07 PM

What pattern are you making? Maybe if we know what you are trying to make then it can be explained better than the pattern is written.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:24 AM

Jan in VA, have you written a book or books? If so please advise. You always have such helpful pics, illustrations, and advice!
Old 11-11-2016, 03:54 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by K-Roll View Post
Jan in VA, have you written a book or books? If so please advise. You always have such helpful pics, illustrations, and advice!
Thank you for your question and nice compliment!

I have never written a book though I have been urged to do so for quite a while. Actually I've started collecting notes for one, but can't seem to get organized enough to really start. And there is also the question of whether to self publish, go thru one of the reputable quilting publishers, or do an ebook. The later might be best for me but I do need to learn more about it.

Guess I sort of need a 'buddy' or editor type to keep me motivated and on track!

Meanwhile I share some here as I love to teach and encourage other quilters. You may PM me any time and we can also work thru email if you need specific help with something that may need graphics; several members have done that over the time I've been a member.

Jan in VA