Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Please share your best money-saving tips for quilters on a budget

I use dryer sheets after I have used them as foundations for piecing.

I agree with Chele scrap quilts are great...
    ConnieF

Oh and I would only ues sheet if they was 100% cotton. No blends on the back of a cotton top...

My tip I use is to cut straw's and place on the thread holders and put 2 spools on one peg.... I have 2 of the 120 holders full of doubles seperated by 30 and 40 weight embroidery threads.... works great....

oh and I must add I seen in a news letter tonight use the bread slicer holder for you rulers....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ConnieF
    I agree with Chele scrap quilts are great...
    ConnieF

Oh and I would only ues sheet if they was 100% cotton. No blends on the back of a cotton top...

My tip I use is to cut straw's and place on the thread holders and put 2 spools on one peg.... I have 2 of the 120 holders full of doubles seperated by 30 and 40 weight embroidery threads.... works great....
    Ooooooh! I like this one, using straws on my thread holders! I just doubled my space from 60 to 120 spools! What are you doing running around giving tips at 4:00 a.m.? And what am I doing reading them at this gosh-awful hour? Must be the name ...... I'm a Connie, too.

Check internet for patterns and instructions. There is so many free patterns and instructions on quilting. You may never have to buy a pattern again!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jitkaau
    I always use 'stash buster' patterns. By that, I mean that there is no wastage. I make the scraps into fancy borders, or cut the fabric from strips so that there is nothing except a minimal squaring up scrap that is left over. Not much fussy cutting in this house! One criticism I received from a member of the quilt guild I belong to was, "I don't like your quilts - they always look like you've made them from scraps." AND THAT IS RIGHT.
    That is what a scrappy quilt is!!

When I lived up north, our children wore cordoroy(spelling?). After the knees wore out, I cut off the backs of the legs, then into squares. This made several soft but MANLY quilts for my father-in-law and dad!

Craigslist & Freecycle are sometimes a great place to get stuff.

We have several thrift stores in town that sell fabric. One of them measures then folds the fabric. I have gotten some gems there. They only charge about $1 a yard which is sweet.

My daughter gave me many of her reels of cotton as they kept breaking. I use them on my bobbins, but today the colour I needed was one of those reels. After much frustration and many breaks of the cotton, in desparation I sprayed the reel with my water sprayer and lo and behold sewed for another hour and a half without a single break.

I also use clear plastic cutting boards from the $2 store for cutting my templates. I get 2 boards for $2. They are great as you can see through them when fussy cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by C.Cal Quilt Girl
    Keep all extras of batting larger pieces for QAYG wallhangings or bing together for smaller Quilts, toss all scrappies into bins larger @ smaller pieces. And chain stitch as often as possible. Paper bags for templates, old candy, cookie tins for all the small stuff (w/a label) no fun going thur 10 tins for spool of thread :)
    Good Ideas above !!
    Me too! I also save cereal boxes; when they are empty, I cut them down and they are used in crafts and my new hobby making altered books. I save all my batting scrapes, use them in totes, purses, and potholders. Cheap thread I use for basting, save the good thread for permanent sewing. Love thrift stores, yard sales, etc. I keep a little Sew Bank I put a little savings into, this is for that rainy day or something I know I can't live without having thinking really hard on it.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast