Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please share your best money-saving tips for quilters on a budget >

Please share your best money-saving tips for quilters on a budget

Please share your best money-saving tips for quilters on a budget

Old 09-18-2010, 04:54 PM

i know we down joannes alot but i do make sure i use their coupons the books (one for me one in hubbys name hehe) go right in my purse and if you look on top of the pattern file cabinets they have a book that comes out i think it is 2x a year with sewing ideas and on the back they have coupons 50 and 40 percent off they do cost 2.99 for the book but if i use one 50% coup on something 6.00 or more i get my money back i believe their are 2 50 and 4 40 and yes i do manage to use these. also have started hitting garage sales for jeans for totes and maybe a jean quilt someday. oh and by the way they had mccalls patterns this weekend 1.99 and vogue was 3.99 i believe. had 2 mennonite ladies who did not know this and i think i was their favorite person yesterday! lol
Old 09-18-2010, 04:55 PM

We use sheets for backing on our charity quilts - as I am not crazy about white, I use Ritt dye and twist and rubber band each sheet. Gives a tie dyed look and many can be 'done' at the same time making dye go a long ways.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:55 PM

I use "used" fabric softener squares from my dryer when I need backing for a lightweight fabric, or for applique work.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:58 PM

make a list of all the new fabrics or other sewing supplies you want (this is a list that will change daily but just keep adding as you see something you really like). Then when ever any of your family asks what you want for (birthday, all holidays or special occasions) just point to the list and tell them pick one or two or even the a dozen.

I get so tried of hearing my kids say they can't think of anything to buy me for (whatever) because I always buy what I need for my self so this list thing sure has put an end to that statement.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:01 PM

I do the Salvation Army/Goodwill for the cotton dresses, etc. I do the estate sales for sheets, notions, etc. I recently bought some flat sheets, in the package, for $2.00 each.

My newest kick is old buttons- got a bunch for $1.00 that had buttons, sewing tape, bias tape, snaps, etc. I had fun just looking at my "loot".

I found a gorgeous cotton jumper for $1.99- the pattern caught my eye- but it's in my size and I'm seriously thinking of wearing it. But it is sooo pretty- I really want to cut it up. Decisions, decisions.

I also did the same with a bolt of batting. I figure I know I will use it, so the cost saving of $3 or $4 a yard by buying in bulk is worth it. And it feels neat to hug a bolt of batting when you are getting ready to sandwich a quilt.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:05 PM
Power Poster

All the tips on getting fabric are great! In addition to those, I found that you can get extra "mileage" out of your rotary blade if you take it out..put 1 drop (only 1) of oil on it and turn it over. You are good to go again!

Also..remember that your cutting mat has 2 sides...when one side is worn out- turn it over.

Buy your freezer paper for applique at Wally's or somewhere. You can use Parchment paper instead of that expensive applique sheet from the quilt store.

Use the cheap tablet tracing paper from Walmart for your Paper piecing vs. the printable foundation paper.

Clean the bottom of your iron with a used dryer sheet vs. expensive cleaners.

Use the mesh thingie from your bathtub (well- go buy a new one for a buck) to clean your cutting mat vs. the commercial cleaner.

Thats all I can think of at the moment, but theres more I know...
Old 09-18-2010, 05:11 PM

Great suggestions!
Old 09-18-2010, 05:24 PM

Never go to LQS or any other place unless you have a pattern and know exactly what you need. Look in your stash before you go
Old 09-18-2010, 05:26 PM

Great suggestions! I have learned so much here. I'm saving everything. I really need to clear out some drawers and closets but I now I have to consider the quilt potential of my cast-off clothes!!
Old 09-18-2010, 05:44 PM

what kind of people did you get for your trade?!! Just had to say it!