Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pls help suggestions to use this fabric!!

Blog Entries
    I don't know what possessed me to buy this, maybe residual brain imprinting from living so long in Vanuatu, but I got a yard-now, I have thought and thought, put it away, brought it out, hung on my design wall, nothing has come to me. Anyone out there got any suggestions how to use this??? I have only made quilts according to patterns, (not clever enough to try on my own!), so if there is a particular pattern you know of that would suit this fabric (1 yard, only), please let me know.
    Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I think this fabric is fantastic! Combine it with some real suede and make an absolutely up town sophisticated bag. The humor is priceless, and the negative spaces make the images stand out - I love everything about it.

Since you only have one yard, I would use it in a quilt for a teen. Maybe centers of the blocks so you can see the characters. If you want to hide it in a scrappy quilt, go to Bonnie Hunters Quiltville.com sight. The Ohio Star has a nice center square in the middle.

I also agree with TanyaL on the idea of making a bag with it. That will make a nice bag.

I wouldn't cut it up either - I think it's really fun fabric! If you aren't sure about the suede but you like the bag idea, use 2 or 3 other fabrics and make a top and bottom border. You can make a beach bag, grocery tote, travel bag, lunch bag, handbag, book bag, or quilty stuff tote bag! You could also fussy cut a couple of the totems and use them for the bag handles.

Blog Entries
    Good ideas! I have several bag patterns I have been gathering, including the famous "Bow Tuck" which I am in love with, but have never made a bag/purse before - in fact, really not done anything but quilts and a few Xmas tree ornaments. I like the idea of a tote! It won't be my taste, so I will probably give it to someone if it comes out nice!

Cool fabric! How 'bout combining it with some other tropical prints (e.g., palm leaves, tropical flowers). Be sure to keep the pieces large enough in whatever pattern you choose that the viewer can still see the carvings.

It will be an original & people will want one like it, I bet.

Blog Entries
    Actually, if it comes out nice as a purse/bag, I might just use it in Vanuatu myself! I could get away with it there. Actually, these are Hawaiian Tikis, in Vanuatu their carved totems are called "TamTams".

Quote Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
    I don't know what possessed me to buy this, maybe residual brain imprinting from living so long in Vanuatu, but I got a yard-now, I have thought and thought, put it away, brought it out, hung on my design wall, nothing has come to me. Anyone out there got any suggestions how to use this??? I have only made quilts according to patterns, (not clever enough to try on my own!), so if there is a particular pattern you know of that would suit this fabric (1 yard, only), please let me know.
    Thanks!
    Save it for this year's ugly fabric contest!

tee hee

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast