Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Poppies Waterfall Quilt pattern help >

Poppies Waterfall Quilt pattern help

Poppies Waterfall Quilt pattern help

Old 06-02-2015, 04:19 PM

Default Poppies Waterfall Quilt pattern help

I thought this quilt (http://www.joann.com/susan-winget-po...roject&start=1) would be a nice beginner project to work on in conjunction with my t-shirt quilt. (I've only fully completed a rag quilt).

I'm concerned about the comments that the pattern isn't right though (I have googled the pattern for possible corrections but didn't find anything). I'm so bad at math and so unfamiliar with patterns that I'm not sure where the issue is. The first 4 steps look good to me taking seam allowances into account. It looks like the issue starts in step 7 - the polka dots don't connect like in the completed picture. I would appreciate any input on this, thanks! Don't want to start cutting the fabric and have an unfixable "oops."
Old 06-03-2015, 01:15 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I'm not sure what yoiu mean by " the polka dots don't connect like in the completed picture."

It seems to me part of the problem with the way this pattern is written is that the cream triangles will have all BIAS edges which, by their very nature, will stretch.

It's so much less frustrating for a beginner to make triangles which will have the long edges cut on the straight grain of the fabric and the shorter edges on the bias. Done this way, the bias edges will be stabilized by sewing them to the straight blocks next to them and your outer edges of this section will be stable because they are on a straight grain.

So, to overcome the bias on the outside, cut 12.5 inch cream squares -- cut these on both diagonals to create 4 triangles each -- be sure to cut enough 12.5" squares to make as many triangles as you will need .

With this mdethod, the resulting triangles will be a bit larger than you actually need, which will allow you a bit of extra fabric to trim the edges to an even line AFTER you have sewn all of the sections together.

Just a little tip from an old quilting teacher. PM me if you wish.

Jan in VA
Old 06-03-2015, 02:39 PM
Power Poster

I see the problem with the pattern. In step 4, the diagram doesn't show the blocks sewn together to form block sets in the proper configuration. and that incorrect configuration is used in the rest of the pattern. If you look at step 7, you will see that the polka dotted fabric pieces don't meet and form right angles as they do in the picture of the completed quilt. This messes up the design completely if you want the waterfall effect. If you just orient those pieces as they are in the first picture instead of as they are in the directions, I think you will be okay.

Jan's comments are also right on! No bias if you can avoid it.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:44 AM

I seems the cutting lines in step 7 are not shown in the correct place. Do as others have said and go by the picture of finished quilt. I, too, like to sew bias to straight grain at every opportunity.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:42 AM

My daughter has collected this fabric for this pattern...we are trying to find the cotton sateen that they used in the quilt...we finally found the fabric in Joanns' in Minnesota, they shipped it to her Joann's in Houston...very good service...we got all that they had....instead of the polka dots, which we couldn't find enough of, she is using a pretty green... I hope to get started on her quilt soon....so will check out the pattern before I start....We also found a border fabric in this line. It is individual poppies in rectangles separated by a sashing...found it at another Joanns...So I think we have it all except the cotton sateen...all the prints are so colorful . I think it's going to be fun to do...Good luck with your quilt Skylark 53...can't wait to see how yours turns out...be sure and post pics...
Old 06-04-2015, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by " the polka dots don't connect like in the completed picture." Jan in VA
I can see what she means. In the original picture, the two polka dot pieces are touching. But when you go to the pictures in the directions (probably a computer generated graph), the polka dot pieces are separated by the other pieces.

Once you figure that out, you can make it the way you like.

Last edited by maviskw; 06-04-2015 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:43 PM

Thanks for all the help! Jan, thankfully the cream fabric is generic and I was told pretty much always available so I don't have to worry about cutting things a little larger or experimenting a bit so I will definitely try your method.

Glad to know I was on to something with the picture not matching...I wasn't sure if perhaps it would work out with "quilt magic" as they say when everything comes together. I'll make a couple of the squares and play around so I can get it to look like the picture.

sak658- your thread was actually what clued me onto this project! By the time I saw the thread you had found the fabrics you needed and I looked them up and my local Joann's still had some so I made a trip. The dots definitely seem to be the scarcest. I want to see a picture of your daughter's quilt too - I bet it will be really lovely with the green!

I actually didn't purchase the cream fabric yet and I may go with something other than sateen too, the ladies at the store that could be a bit heavy as well.

Edit to add: I've decided not to prewash the fabrics for this one either as I think I'd like the "crinkled" look. If anyone has had any issues with color bleeding, let me know! I should enough to do test a scrap though.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:25 PM

I can't find the edit button for my previous post, so please excuse this double post. The pattern says to cut the fabric in order (I assume to ensure most economical use) so I am starting with the Poppy Garden fabric and I need 4 strips that are 2.5" wide by the LOF. (for the binding). I've squared up the fabric but I realize I'm going to have quite a struggle cutting such long strips and keeping them straight. I've looked up some methods that involve folding the fabric into a triangle like shape...which apparently will give a bias cut for the binding strips (I'm new to this whole bias thing). From what I've read, I understand that bias strips tend to be the most durable. But I definitely don't want to use bias for the next steps, which are the side borders (2 strips 7 x 60) and the coin strips (2 strips 2.5 x 45). If I cut the 4 binding strips on the bias using the triangular folding method, would that leave enough fabric uncut for the non-bias 7 x 60 strips? I'm having trouble visualizing all that.

In sum, I guess my question is should I cut the binding strips on the bias - and if not, how do I tackle getting straight strips out of a nearly 2 yard piece of fabric? The more layers I cut through, the more I tend to get that "v" shape towards the middle.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:59 AM

Skylark: if you fold your fabric so that the selvedges are exactly straight, you can fold to four or eight layers. Clip these edges together. I would pin that with flat head pins in the area you will not be cutting. Take off the clips. Then put your ruler on the width of the strip you want PLUS what you want to cut off of the selvedge. Be sure you ruler is completely perpendicular to the folds. That would make a very straight strip. Without moving the fabric (turn the cutting board), Cut the width of the strip from the selvedge, lining up the ruler on the fold again.
Hope this works for you.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:02 AM

I think you have gotten lots of good advice on this so I'm going to just say that it is a pretty pattern and wish you luck with it!