Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Potato Bags are just not worth it! >

Potato Bags are just not worth it!

Potato Bags are just not worth it!

Old 12-16-2011, 10:31 AM

Okay, I have a somewhat related question....Before I go and make a bunch of these....Would the same thing happen with a Microwave bowl holder = basically a wrap that goes around a soup bowl for instance = that spends time in the
micro while the soup is heating?
Old 12-16-2011, 10:36 AM

Sorry - that's what happens when you don't read the posts..........
Old 12-16-2011, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I know this is a somewhat serious thread but you made me giggle a little bit!
Me too. Don't know why it is so funny but I have until I cried.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by sandrab64 View Post
I bought a 'potato bag' kit yesterday from my LQS. Was excited to make it today to give as a gift! I read lots of threads regarding the pros and cons of the bag on the QB here so made sure I washed/dried the fabric, used only 100% cotton thread, and tested it in the microwave with a damp paper towel inside, hit the 'potato' button and.....the bag is now outside in the rain on the steps. It started smoking so bad and has a big brown burn spot in the inside and now I have a stinky kitchen to boot. Will never make one of these again. Perhaps others have had better luck but I feel it's just not worth the anxiety!
These should not have batting - just a couple of layers of flannel. If the batting has any polyester it will melt and flame. That said, I've found they're not worth it. I just wrap my potatoes up in a kitchen towel and toss them in the microwave. They come out perfectly fine.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:00 PM

I have no idea what the appeal is for these bags. I washed my potatoes, put small slits in them, wrap in a paper towel and microwave. They come out perfect every time. It's just one more thing to find a place for in the kitchen, IMHO.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Power Poster

I had considered making some of these bags for a fair I was attending, now I'm glad that I didnt'. I would not have liked to be selling a product that would incinerate in the microwave. Thanks again for the tip
Old 12-16-2011, 12:27 PM

Sorry for your experience, but glad to have the info. Those bags were in the back of my mind on the to do list sometime in the future...nah..not now.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:29 PM

I stab my potatos with a fork (to let out steam) and microwave them directly on the turntable... No quilt required!!
Old 12-16-2011, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by mythreesuns View Post
I have to tell this story. I laughed so hard. My son and very soon to be wife at the time, came for supper and we were making steak on the grill and baked taters. So I made a comment we had to be home soon enough for me to get the taters in the oven. She looked at me and said..in a very serious voice and look on her face.. WELL WHO EVER HEARD OF PUTTING TATERS IN THE OVEN?? You make them in the microwave. I said and how were they ever made before the microwave came?? We still chuckle over this one.. so funny..
There really is nothing like a potato baked in a 400 degree oven! When they are done there is no need for a potato bag to keep them warm. They will stay HOT for a long time. Things warmed or cooked in the microwave retain their heat for a much shorter time.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by athomenow View Post
I have no idea what the appeal is for these bags. I washed my potatoes, put small slits in them, wrap in a paper towel and microwave. They come out perfect every time. It's just one more thing to find a place for in the kitchen, IMHO.
Yes, it is just another thing to add to your kitchen. Reminds me of the "inventions" that come out before Christmas every year. For example the "Inside the Egg Shell Egg Scrambler" - everyone needs one of those, or the latest hard-boiled egg mold, and many more things we didn't know we needed until we saw the adds.