Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Potato Bags are just not worth it! >

Potato Bags are just not worth it!

Potato Bags are just not worth it!

Old 12-16-2011, 07:24 AM

Never knew they were hard to make. I have one and love it...however, I bought it from a craft fair...
Old 12-16-2011, 07:40 AM

My potato bag caught on fire too. I did everything right but it caught on fire. My son is a fireman and he said we are doing it wrong if we use 100% cotton. Cotton catches fire faster than other fibers. I went back to using my old one that I had bought years ago in a craft fair. It is stuffed with plain old polyester stuffing. I have never had a problem with using it.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:42 AM

thepolyparrot, good statement, my husband is a retired fire fighter understand your training. we work with wild land fire fighters each summer. I was a safety com. officer with the company I worked for ,there are some things that just stick with you for every.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:03 AM

I use these bags all the time, never had a problem, I like the taste of the potato beter when I use the bag. I also use the bag for sweet potatos, and corn on the cob. Its not just my microwave because I have used several different ones
Old 12-16-2011, 08:31 AM

Default Potatoe bags

DITTO
PLUS.....the instructions state to wash and DRY the potatoes.....there's a reason for DRYING them !!!!! Microwaves fuction thru moisture in whatever is in it....don't know if I said that correctly but theres something to that effect that is in my mannual Been awhile since I read it.........another safety fact is to lay the potatoe bag flap side down in microwave and
Originally Posted by sandybuttons View Post
I use these bags all the time, never had a problem, I like the taste of the potato beter when I use the bag. I also use the bag for sweet potatos, and corn on the cob. Its not just my microwave because I have used several different ones
Old 12-16-2011, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Iraxy View Post
Wow, glad to hear this news. Actually, I roll a potato in a very wet paper towel after I poke some holes in it and zap it for 7-10 minutes depending on the size of the potato. It is perfect, fluffy, and delicious. Yum, could eat one right now!
I don't lke the bags either. I poke holes in the tater, and place in a zip lock bog (leave it open) and zap it. Works great
Old 12-16-2011, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot View Post
I know this is not going to be a very popular response, but the truth is truth, even if nobody believes it.

These bags are dangerous. The fiber in batting and woven into the fabric is so fine that it is easily vaporized (a condition for combustion) and it does not contain enough moisture to prevent vaporization or extinguish combustion.

There, I said it. I'm a fire chief's daughter and I will probably still be acting like a fire chief's daughter the day I die. But, I won't die because I smoked in bed, plugged in a frayed cord, overloaded a circuit, used gasoline to start a barbecue or because I used a little quilt to cook my potatoes in.
This is great! Every new fad doesn't need to be followed.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:01 AM

I've never understood the allure.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:10 AM

Default Tater Bags

Originally Posted by sandrab64 View Post
I bought a 'potato bag' kit yesterday from my LQS. Was excited to make it today to give as a gift! I read lots of threads regarding the pros and cons of the bag on the QB here so made sure I washed/dried the fabric, used only 100% cotton thread, and tested it in the microwave with a damp paper towel inside, hit the 'potato' button and.....the bag is now outside in the rain on the steps. It started smoking so bad and has a big brown burn spot in the inside and now I have a stinky kitchen to boot. Will never make one of these again. Perhaps others have had better luck but I feel it's just not worth the anxiety!
I've never made one! Just never could see Why anyone would need a bag to cook a potatoe in the Microwave? And if you want to use a bag just use a zip lock freezer bag.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:17 AM
Power Poster

What a shame after you put the time and money into it. Guess a lesson learned.