Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7

Thread: Potato Bags are just not worth it!

Blog Entries
    I made a potato bag and have used it over a dozen times. I've used for sweet potatoes, baked potatoes, and heating up
    rolls. Never had a problem, but after reading all these posts, I am a little hesitant to leave the kitchen while it's in the microwave. Mine does have cotton fabric, cotton thread, and warm tater batting. It is heavily quilted. I always wrap everything in a damp paper towel before putting it in the bag. Maybe this moisture is the key to keep it from catching fire?

Gay
    Blog Entries
    Rose L - I think you have the right idea. Don't microwave rules say 'do not put dry items in their ovens, always add a small container of water

Thank you. Now we know the science behind why NOT to make a potato bag!

I won't die from any of the things you listed, either. At least I don't plan to die from those things. I won't run my clothes dryer when I'm not home or awake, either.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Blog Entries
    I wash mine and pop wet in to the micro, hit potato button and zap it. When it stops I take it out splash with water, wrap in plastic and drop it into a long oven mitt, when I start dinner. By the time dinner is ready they are done! You are not supposed to cook them till soft. After they are zapped they continue to cook till done. The sencer on the micro knows when to stop. If you cook them 10 mins or till soft you over cook them. I try not to put plastic in there at all. And what is thee point of poking holes in it to let the juice out? They will not bust on their own. They told us to wrap in plastic and poke holes in the plastic when they first came out, not knowing about the plastic leaching out.
    One hot motherís day my then DH invited 10 people over for dinner, so he could grill! I didnít want to heat the hot kitchen any more than it was. So early, I cooked the potatoes in batches this way, only I wet and wrapped them in foil when they came out and put them in a bun warmer to keep them warm and finish cooking. One person said that is the only way she liked her potatoesí cooked, in the oven.I wash mine and pop wet in to the micro, hit potato button and zap it.
    Last edited by Phyllis nm; 02-04-2014 at 02:30 PM. Reason: do

I agree that the potato bags are a novelty. Each bag must be made with 100%cotton. This means that the batting, material and thread must be 100% cotton. No fillers like polyester and scrim can be involved or it will melt in the microwave/catch fire. The potato should be washed 1st and can not be poked with a fork. Wrap the potato with a wet paper towel and place in the potato bag. This has worked best for me. Since the potato bag holds the moisture in, the microwave button for potatoes no longer applies. The time for cooking is now less. I have cooked a potato in 2.5 minutes. The cooked potatoes are moist and the peel comes right off.
    If you leave the potato bag in the microwave for more then 5 mins, I believe it will catch fire or melt. The potato bags or bowls are not meant for long periods of cooking in a microwave.

pw6
    good to know as I had thought about one, NOW I will never give it another thought

Blog Entries
    I rub my potato with olive oil, sprinkle it with salt, and bake it in the oven with whatever else I'm cooking. Old-fashioned, I guess--I don't even own a microwave.
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thepolyparrot View Post
    I know this is not going to be a very popular response, but the truth is truth, even if nobody believes it.

These bags are dangerous. The fiber in batting and woven into the fabric is so fine that it is easily vaporized (a condition for combustion) and it does not contain enough moisture to prevent vaporization or extinguish combustion.

There, I said it. I'm a fire chief's daughter and I will probably still be acting like a fire chief's daughter the day I die. But, I won't die because I smoked in bed, plugged in a frayed cord, overloaded a circuit, used gasoline to start a barbecue or because I used a little quilt to cook my potatoes in.
    LOL! Too funny.

Name:  lovethispost.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  45.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by SEW View Post
    I would think that the soup bowl holder would be meant to put the bowl of soup in AFTER it has been heated. I know my soup bowls get quite hot after I put the soup in them. Makes it hard to carry to the table...I always have to use a pot holder.
    that's what the microwave bowl holder solves - no more trying to hold with a pot holder - set bowl in holder, microwave, lift out without burning yourself. Tutorial on this website is awesome.
    ​Nancy

I have several microwave bowl holders that I have used for about a year with no problems. Yesterday I made 3 for my neighbors and read this post this morning. Liked the idea of "testing" them, so I popped them in the microwave.
    After 2 minutes they started smoking. The smell was sickening; in fact I can still smell it. I suspect it may have been the thread. At this point I'm going to cease and desist!

I had always wondered how those things worked. Guess I will stick to the oven.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by thepolyparrot View Post
    I know this is not going to be a very popular response, but the truth is truth, even if nobody believes it.

These bags are dangerous. The fiber in batting and woven into the fabric is so fine that it is easily vaporized (a condition for combustion) and it does not contain enough moisture to prevent vaporization or extinguish combustion.

There, I said it. I'm a fire chief's daughter and I will probably still be acting like a fire chief's daughter the day I die. But, I won't die because I smoked in bed, plugged in a frayed cord, overloaded a circuit, used gasoline to start a barbecue or because I used a little quilt to cook my potatoes in.
    Amen !!! And unplug my toaster and coffee maker when not in use... AND some paper towels - the recycled ones - have bits of metal in them that can catch fire in a microwave. It's a dangerous world out there !!!
    Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

Mugs have rugs and potatoes have bags! Wonder what'll be next...

Anita
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7