Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Potholders - How fancy? >

Potholders - How fancy?

Potholders - How fancy?

Old 10-22-2010, 06:34 AM

I would probably avoid anything scented for a swap. Allergies aside, people just have really different ideas about what smells good!
Old 10-22-2010, 06:50 AM

I would leave out the scent. I know I would appreciate anything I received. (it means I didn't have to make it!)
Old 10-22-2010, 07:02 AM

You could still make your hot pads, just fill them with non scented things like crushed walnut shell, rice, or filler pellets you can get at Walmart.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:52 AM
Power Poster

I think that you may want to start a different swap for these scented hot pads, that could be a lot of fun! This swap is for potholders, and we really should/need to stay within the swaps guidelines/rules. :D:D:D
Old 10-22-2010, 03:43 PM
Administrator

it's best to not ask the host and swappers to change the rules. you'd be surprised how much confusion and mayhem even the simplest change could create.

unless is a partnered swap and you've been able to verify that your partner has no allergies or other objections it's always safest and most courteous to avoid sending anything scented. do your best to remember that. safety first whenever humanly possible.

the flip side of that is that swappers with allergies should not throw fits or say nasty things about those who do forget and send scented items. it's unfair, unkind, ungrateful and ill-mannered. after all, they are adding what they think will be a special extra touch. if an accidental kindness puts you at serious risk then you should either exercise extreme caution when opening packages or not participate in swaps at all.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:49 PM

I am doing the potholder exchange and let me tell you, my potholders are not all that fancy. I just picked a block to use and am doing some quilting on them. No FMQ, just straight line. My potholders are definitely to be used, not to hang up for decorations.
So you should feel free to join and exchange whatever kind of potholder you choose to make except maybe leave the scents out and let the receiver add that if they so wish!
Old 10-22-2010, 06:15 PM
Power Poster

Couldn't they be made without scent ?
Old 10-22-2010, 08:02 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I would LOVE a scenty hot pad.. !!!!!
I'll be your swap partner..it'll be just us two!!! :lol: :thumbup:
Old 10-23-2010, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
it's best to not ask the host and swappers to change the rules. you'd be surprised how much confusion and mayhem even the simplest change could create.

unless is a partnered swap and you've been able to verify that your partner has no allergies or other objections it's always safest and most courteous to avoid sending anything scented. do your best to remember that. safety first whenever humanly possible.

the flip side of that is that swappers with allergies should not throw fits or say nasty things about those who do forget and send scented items. it's unfair, unkind, ungrateful and ill-mannered. after all, they are adding what they think will be a special extra touch. if an accidental kindness puts you at serious risk then you should either exercise extreme caution when opening packages or not participate in swaps at all.

I argree with Patrice. Anyone that scentative to all those common items would not be wise to participate in swaps of any kind. Many items, particularly at his time of year, are scented with the season.

Andie
Old 10-23-2010, 12:00 PM
Administrator

BUT please don't take our advice to mean that we think you're a bad person. you can't help having allergies.

we just want you to be safe.