Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: potholders

does anyone know where i can get a hand potholder? i think i have asked before about the batting to put in potholders but don't remember. i just read on a thread something about batting with silver heat resistant coating on one side. has anyone used this yet or what have you used?

jeanette

Jeanette,
    Try the Joann website, they have everything, including free patterns. Hancocks also has free patterns. I know I found one last year but I truly don't remember where, sorry.

Happy Quilting,
    Sharon

:roll: You can use a product called insulbright, which is basically a layer of metal mesh sandwiched between two layers of batting. It is very heat proof and I have made many potholders and hotpads for saving your tables from being scorched by a hot dish. They also have the kind with the silver fabric on one side. It can be purchased on line or through a fabric store. Best of luck to you. Let me know if you have any interesting pot holder or hotpad patterns. Happy Holidays!!

bj
    Try bomquilts.com for pattern ideas. They have a whole section on potholders.

I like to use old felted wool sweaters for interlining potholders.

I use insulbrite and I've made many pot holders, oven mitts and scented hot pads. The insulbrite works wonderfully. I got some of mine from www.homesew.com

how do you make scented hot pads?

Blog Entries
    i've also been wondering where to buy that stuff. i went straight to the homesew site; did a search; only found one kit. i googled "insulbrite" hoping to find it by the yard. nuthin'. i found 2 measely yards on ebay. i didn't buy it since this is a "someday" need for me. didn't want to ace out somebody who needs it now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/INSULBRITE-HEAT-RESISTANT-BATTING-FOR-HOT-PADS-AND-MORE_W0QQitemZ360001257646QQihZ023QQcategoryZ4836Q QrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638 .m118

i did a little better when i googled "insulated batting"

http://cgi.ebay.com/36-x-45-Insulbright-Insulated-Batting-for-Potholders_W0QQitemZ180136350466QQihZ008QQcategory Z116679QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem?_trks id=p1638.m118

http://www.ericas.com/quilting/batting.htm

http://www.candflinks.com/store/insulation_batting.html

would this be good for a new iroing board cover?

Blog Entries
    i think it would, kathy. but unless you have an odd size board the demands a custom cover, it would probably be less expensive to buy one ready made.

on the other hand ... how cool would it be to have a ginormous ironing mat for a table top? :P

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast