Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions: What kind of batting... Potholders >

Questions: What kind of batting... Potholders

Questions: What kind of batting... Potholders

Old 11-02-2008, 04:21 AM

to use to make Potholders/Mittens and Placemats? I've read on various sites and books/magazines that Thermal Batting is good. I've looked around and can't find "Thermal Batting" so I bought the flame retardent one from JoAnns, is that the same?

Also, can I use any kind of 100% cotton fabric? I have some Teflon fabric too, can I use that?

I'm so very new at quilting and it'll take me forever to make blankets for xmas gifts so I thought, why not start with these simple things.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Old 11-02-2008, 05:27 AM
Banned

this is a great question Crafty1. I'm interested to find out also.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:35 AM

I bought insul-bright from Joanns. I haven't yet made my hotpads, but is supposed to be a good product. They sell it with the odd ball fabrics, my Joanns have it with burlap and stuff like that.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:40 AM

Insul-bright is great for potholders. I do two layers of batting. One of cotton and one of insul-bright.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:44 AM

There is special batting and it has "silver" in it. Our quilt shop carries it and I have seen similar type at JoAnn's. Insul-bright is one name. It is a MUST to have the correct type or somebody will get burned. You could ask someone at your local shop to help you find it. Like Quilting Turtle said-sometimes they put products is strange places. This type of batting is also great for making ironing board covers.

You can use regular cotton for the outside. But maybe the teflon fabric will stay cleaner longer? I don't know, I have never tried it.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:15 AM

Hi Crafty1. I've made quite a few potholders over the years and I have learned that most regular battings do not work well inside potholders. They simply cannot withstand the high temperature when using them on a hot item like a casserole dish.

I now make my potholders with used terrycloth as the insulating cotton. I use terrycloth that has been recycled from old towels, so this is more frugal than buying new batting.

I make all of my own potholders, and make gifts for others using patchwork cottons or themed cotton fabrics.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-21-2016 at 12:42 PM. Reason: PM
Old 11-02-2008, 08:20 AM

LynnS what a fantastic idea!

I too have made potholders before, more decorative than anything else and have also used several layers of thick flannel remnants. I didn't try them on the stove, but did use them for hot dishes to keep my table from getting marred.

A friend of mine gave me some thick batting with silver on one side and had no problem with those. I used regular cotton fabrics on each project but do not know the name of the batting, as it was already out of the package when I received it.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

I use either the insul-briight or warm & natural batting. I have made many of these and I never burn my hands. I haven't had any problem scorching the fabric (quilters cotton) from a hot pan either. I use the ones I made on a daily basis too.

I wouldn't recommend the ironing board "silver" stuff tho, it does tend to get a little warm on the hands.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:24 AM

I have saved some thin wool scrap material to use as batting for pot holders. I've heard it works well. I have also used warm & natural & double it (at least). Some people like thin potholders & some like them a little thicker. Personal preference I think.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:06 PM
Power Poster

Nice tutorial.

If one is planning to make several potholders of the same fabric, one could quilt all the fabric at one time and then cut them to size.

When I was making potholders last winter, I had trouble with the layers shifting a little bit. I trimmed them to even the edges, but I think cutting them out after quilting would have been more efficient.

I like the idea of using an old towel. It never occurred to me to use terry.

I've used one layer of warm n natural with one layer of the stuff with the shiny in in - tinsel brite? Worked fairly well. I was making round pot holders and I had some trouble with shifting while I was quilting them. And I have a walking foot.

The other thing I tried - and it worked well - was to use the padding for tables. PRESHRINK it first. I bought a yard and after I washed and dried it, I had less than 24 inches.