Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pre-treated Fabric for Printing Pictures >

Pre-treated Fabric for Printing Pictures

Pre-treated Fabric for Printing Pictures

Old 05-26-2011, 07:35 AM

I was at JoAnn's not long ago with my 50% off coupon and wanted to buy some of the pre-treated fabric on which to print photos to incorporate into a memory wall hanging for several family members. I was dismayed to see so many different items that could be used to do this. My question is to those of you who have used some of these items...what has been your experience with specific products? What have you found that you can recommend? What should I definitely not purchase? Being retired now, I don't have many $$'s to spare on experimenting with all the different products out there. In advance, I thank all of you for your info...not only for this question, but for all the good information you share every day.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Ky'CatFan
My question is to those of you who have used some of these items...what has been your experience with specific products? What have you found that you can recommend? What should I definitely not purchase?
I have used several of June Taylor packages of the sew in type purchased at JoAnns. I was not at all happy with it. I ruined two printers when the fabric jammed! My daughter threw away her printer and got another, and our very expensive, professional printer, now prints lines across everything we print.

Instead what I like to use is cyanotype printing.

It is fairly cheap, very easy and oodles of fun! The fabric costs about $25 per 60" yard, but you compare that to the packages of printable fabric, where you get 3 sheets for $10, from that yardage you would get 21 sheets, plus bits left over. So, it is really a good price.

I buy my fabrics from: http://www.blueprintsonfabric.com/store.php?cat=1

Here are a few of the cyanotype quilts I have made:

made for a very ill lady at church, evryone wrote out prayers for her, and I formed them into butterfly wings
[ATTACH=CONFIG]202625[/ATTACH]

made for my nephew who went to Bible College, everyone in church is praying for him in the pics
[ATTACH=CONFIG]202626[/ATTACH]

made for my daughter & SIL for 10th anniversary, pics are my grandkids
[ATTACH=CONFIG]202627[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-202619.jpe   attachment-202620.jpe   attachment-202621.jpe  
Old 05-26-2011, 08:18 AM

I've had good luck printing on lightweight muslin. I've gotten the best results by spraying photo or cardstock paper with quilt basting spray and laying the muslin on it. Smooth it out really well. Let dry for 30 minutes or so, then cut the fabric to paper size, and print. The fabric will peel off the paper. I haven't tried reusing the card stock, but glossy photo paper can be reused; just spray it lightly again.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:40 AM

I buy it by the roll from Dharma Trading co. That way I can cut to the size I want for the picture and seems to be less waste.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:40 AM

I've used several different fabrics for photo printing. Most have been a big disappointment--fading, running, etc. I will only use Printed Treasures now. It's not cheap (but I don't remember what the others cost), but is well worth it. Two quilts have been washed 4 or 5 times; print quality and color was not compromised.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:47 AM

I have not tried any of then, just wanted to welcome you to the board from Southern California!
Old 05-26-2011, 11:12 AM

I just bought the Bluementhal Craft photo fabric at Jo Ann's and I don't recommend it. The paper on the back wouldn't peel off until it had dried and I then soaked it. The colors faded very badly. I was so dissapoiinted after the money I spent. I have Printed treasures and June Taylor and plan on trying them. I have another brand but I threw away the cover so I don't know the brand. Try searching the net for this and see what you find. Jo Ann's doesn't carry some of these brands.
Lynda

I was at JoAnn's not long ago with my 50% off coupon and wanted to buy some of the pre-treated fabric on which to print photos to incorporate into a memory wall hanging for several family members. I was dismayed to see so many different items that could be used to do this. My question is to those of you who have used some of these items...what has been your experience with specific products? What have you found that you can recommend? What should I definitely not purchase? Being retired now, I don't have many $$'s to spare on experimenting with all the different products out there. In advance, I thank all of you for your info...not only for this question, but for all the good information you share every day.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:23 AM

I forgot to tell you that I am trying other ways to print photos on fabric and have better luck using muslin soaked in a soda ash solution. I bought the soda ash at Jo Ann's. I soaked for 20 to 30 minutes and let the fabric dry then ironed it to freezer paper and put it through the printer and printed the photos on it. I then let that dry completely and peeled off the paper. I let it dry even more and then rinsed it in a mild soap. I use bubble set rinse. I then let that dry and send it through my regular wash. I am finding this fades too much but not as much as the ready made sheets have. If I find out more I will let you know.
Lynda

Old 05-26-2011, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by grammatjr
My question is to those of you who have used some of these items...what has been your experience with specific products? What have you found that you can recommend? What should I definitely not purchase?
I have used several of June Taylor packages of the sew in type purchased at JoAnns. I was not at all happy with it. I ruined two printers when the fabric jammed! My daughter threw away her printer and got another, and our very expensive, professional printer, now prints lines across everything we print.

Instead what I like to use is cyanotype printing.

It is fairly cheap, very easy and oodles of fun! The fabric costs about $25 per 60" yard, but you compare that to the packages of printable fabric, where you get 3 sheets for $10, from that yardage you would get 21 sheets, plus bits left over. So, it is really a good price.

I buy my fabrics from: http://www.blueprintsonfabric.com/store.php?cat=1

Here are a few of the cyanotype quilts I have made:
I really like that prayer quilt, it is wonderful, would be good for any young person going off to college or the service, too. Great idea.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:46 AM

I just used the "printed treasures" sheets and they were wonderful. I have rinsed and put through the washing machine and the color is still true.
Lynda