Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Prewound bobbins >

Prewound bobbins

Prewound bobbins

Old 01-15-2014, 02:23 PM

For people talking about bobbin changes - you can wind a LOT of Aurifil onto a bobbin!

And on some machines, you can adjust how "full" your machine allows a bobbin to get. On my Janome 6600 I was able to move a little teardrop-shaped piece on my bobbin winder so it doesn't kick off the motor until the bobbin is a lot fuller than how it was set up from the factory. Between doing that and using Aurifil, I get a lot of yardage out of a single bobbin.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
I have never used them-- figure it is just as easy to wind my own bobbin with thread to match my project.
Same here.....
Old 01-16-2014, 11:13 AM

Kens Sewing in Muscle shoals has pre wound bobbins, white, black and grey. This is mostly what I use in my Janome. I like them a lot. I call and order them. always great service.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by oh munner View Post
In my mind, pre-wound bobbins fall into the same category as pre-made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches...... come on, how lazy can we get?
I love using prewound SuperBobs from Superior. They definitely hold more thread than ones you wind yourself, and they are amazingly uniform. I bought two different assortments, one neutral and one brights, and I've yet to make a quilt that I didn't have a good match for.

I also use filtec magnetic core prewounds exclusively on my professional multi-needle embroidery machine. The only exception is if I am making free standing lace in any color but white. I buy them by the gross, literally, and find they run amazingly smooth until the thread is completely gone.

I love prewounds!

Pam
Old 01-20-2014, 09:16 AM

My mom buys them by the box of 100 and uses them for her embroidery machine. She says it saves her "good" thread for the top design and they last longer than if she wound them herself. These bobbins fit my Euro-Pro so when she empties a box full she sends them to me. I'll never have to buy another bobbin for this machine!
Old 01-20-2014, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

In my mind, pre-wound bobbins fall into the same category as pre-made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches...... come on, how lazy can we get?
Why would I wind my own bobbins when I can prewounds that work perfectly in my machine? And yes I do stop by the bakery deli and ask for a PB&J sandwich sometimes. LOL
Old 01-20-2014, 10:10 AM

I use them in the embroidery machine because it seems they hold about 3 times the thread we can get on a regular bobbin. We even tried winding special bobbin thread on one of their bobbins and it just won't go as tight. Nothing is more frustrating than running out of bobbin when doing a big project. Love them and will continue to use them.

For my older Pfaff, I wind the bobbins so they match the top thread. But I also wind about 10 at the same time so I don't have to mess with doing them in the middle of a project.

Take some PBJ's to the next potluck and watch how fast they go...many people don't take the time to make them and it's a nice reminder of childhood.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:44 PM

I used prewound bobbins all the time, I only use them for my embroidery machine. They are especially set up for them. The thread will not work for regular sewing. I have the Baby lock Ellisimo. I have had this machine for over three years. They work very well, this thread is much thinner than normal thread and they can put more yards of thread on the prewound bobbins.