Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   All young quilters out there... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/all-young-quilters-out-there-t190467.html)

craftycancer 04-30-2013 08:03 AM

I am 36 I have been sewing for at least 10 years, just started quilting, I started off making my own scrub tops, now I sew hand bags, quilts, hems you name it. My brother is 35 he bought two machines; and is beginning to try his hand in sewing. There is $$$$$ in sewing, especially when you are good at it! sew on!

rebeljane 04-30-2013 09:03 AM

Why do people think there is an age limit on any craft - we do what interests us personally!
I have been sewing since I was 11 years old and started quilting when I retired.

rebeljane 04-30-2013 09:11 AM

Wow that is an awesome achievement!

Originally Posted by collady (Post 5781983)
I will be 64 in March, but I started quilting when I was 8! And I don't consider 8 to be old, nor do I consider 64 to be old...My great grandmother was still quilting when she died at 103!

cathyvv 04-30-2013 09:12 AM

Some people NEVER have a kind word for anyone and purposely say things to undermine the confidence of others around them. Sounds like he's one of them.

This makes him a cranky old man, no matter what his chronological age. Ignore him and go on enjoying your life.

petthefabric 04-30-2013 12:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I started quilting 23 yrs ago, sewing at 9yrs old. Got older 1 yr at a time as I added 1 yr experience at a time. Maybe it's quilting (with friends) that has stood the test of time and shows I'm wiser than I was. My body says I'm older than I was, but my Spirit is getting more vibrant. When younger, I followed the rules. Getting older taught me who I am and to do my own thing without worrying about someone not liking me. I don't need the approval of other people saying "old ladies quilt". [ATTACH=CONFIG]410968[/ATTACH]Spring in the Foothills
My kind of shooting on the shooting range

butter14562 05-06-2013 03:31 PM

I am going to be the same age as you later this year.My husband made the same comet one day going into a quilt shop. But,some younger laddies were there,they were having a sale,and busy that day.That being said, I feel younger than 57.But that's getting up there! Until I get around the older girls at the nursing home.I would of liked to have quilted and sewed a lot more in my twenties but hobbies are expensive, and take space.As soon as I had a extra room,a big bubble came into my head,sewing room.I still have flash backs of me and cousin cutting fabric when we were young girls.And just finished a small quilt I stated cutting out with home made card board template.Boy did I kinda laugh at that.So I think I count as a young quilter that aged, just a little.

pumpkinpatchquilter 05-06-2013 06:56 PM

I think I may have posted already on this massive resurrected thread! But - to add for a second time (maybe?) I'm 32 and I began quilting at 24...so not just old ladies sew! :)

sewNso 05-07-2013 03:42 AM

I started quilting about 30+ yrs ago. when i made quilts for the kids.
my 2 grdsns had their first quilting session over christmas break last yr, when they made a queen D9P together with my help. they did most of the work them selves. we even got it to my favorite quilter and i got the binding put on for them, and they took it home with them. all in 2 weeks. so at 8 and 10, they can say they made their first quilt.
my youngest daughter quilts and she started when she was about 26. and she is the one that i never thought would.
my 26 yr old step grandson who i hadn't seen in yrs, came over one day, and begged me to teach him to quilt. soooo. their is another man , also. and he is alll man. there are loads of men who quilt. creativity is creativity. it comes in all forms. kuddoes to you.