Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: All young quilters out there...

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries

All young quilters out there...

A male friend (?) and I were talking the other day and I told him I quilted and he said only old women quilted. I'm 58 and said I wasn't an old woman and didn't know what constituted an old woman. I told him that women and men of all ages quilted. I said there were many 20 and 30 year old people who quilted. Any of you want to come forward and let yourself be known so I can tell my friend?
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

That's why I posted in another thread that I get strange looks when I tell people I quilt.
    I just turned 40.

Blog Entries
    Well, I'm a 43 year old woman, and I'm NOT the youngest in my quilting group. The youngest is 38, I believe. There are also LOTS of famous men quilters: John Flynn, Ricky Timms, George Siciliano, just to name a few. There is even a facebook-style community page for male quilters: http://manquilters.ning.com/

I may not be 30 anymore, actually 41 now, but have been quilting for about 10 years now. And, nope, don't think I am old either.
    Julie

Blog Entries
    my granddaughter loves to quilt, she just turned 12 - she is really pretty good too, just did her first FMQ

our guild teaches high school age girls

im 48 right now and i quilt ive been quilting since i was 40 so not real long compared to to some but not quite a newbie either. ill never stop lol.
    carla

I'm 49 and a Newbie. I've wanted to learn this craft for a long time. But I am not old I hike, ride a bike and a motorcycle. I have tried to stay active. Did you tell him he must be one of them male idiots to think something like that much less say it. LOL Everyone quilts and it is just one of many types of crafts.
    Diane

I'm 24 and have been sewing for ages.

You should send him to some of these blogs and websites, have him take a gander at these "old woman" quilters:
    http://greenfairyquilts.blogspot.com/
    http://www.quiltingismytherapy.com/
    http://www.daystyledesigns.com/aboutme.htm
    http://www.designerquilts.com/

Then ask him if he would like some chocolate syrup on those words he now has to eat! LOL

BTW, I have been quilting since I was in my 30's. I am 51 now, so maybe in his mind I am an old woman. I also ride a HarleyDavidson Roadking and have tattoos. So there.

Blog Entries
    I am 32 and picked up quilting at about 21, before that I would crochet and read as hobby.

I am on the old end here!! 55..but my 17 and 18 year old daughters are beginning to quilt and love it!

I was 35 when I started. I could have learned a few years earlier than that, because I had a ready person standing by to teach me, but I (at the time) thought quilting was for old ladies too.
    "He who masters the grey everyday is a hero."
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/PeachPalaceDesigns

Blog Entries
    I learned to quilt when I was 28. I always wanted to though. I think it's an "Old woman" thing because quilting takes a back burner to raising kids and working 40 hours a week and cleaning the house and going to baseball games and cooking dinner and washing dishes... one of these days, when my son is grown, I'll have time to quilt like I mean it! Of course, I'll be an old woman by then...!

I'm 52 and my husband said the same thing to me when I started a few years ago. I also was not the youngest in my first quilting class, there was a woman of 28 there : )
    Barb

No one can make you feel inferior unless you allow them to...Eleanor Roosevelt

In our little group, I'm 57, we have ages 61, 53 and her 15 year old daughter who has been quilting since she was about 11 or 12.

Blog Entries
    40 here! Started at 24.
    Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski
    Link to my albums: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...85-albums.html

I'm 30 and have quilted since college. As a teen, I pieced, but I never knew how to make a finished product. No one else in my family sews, I taught myself.

In December I taught my 23 year old neice, a recent University of Michigan grad, to quilt. She brought up the idea, not me. Got her hooked though!
    Carol in Michigan

i'm 34 been at it for 10 years!!!
    *Rachel*

I don't want my DD to post but she does read this site sometimes. She just turned 15 and quilts very well. Most of my other children know how to quilt but my 23 yr old sews and quilts alot too.Ages of my children quilting and some of the ones I taught to quilt are from 3 to 20 yrs old.

I made my first quilts around 30 yrs old.
    Anna Quilts

I am 47. I have made quilts since I was 13. I don't consider myself a quilter but rather someone that sews. Quilts are just one of the things I sew. Both of my DILs asked me to teach them to sew/quilt. They were each in their early 20s at the time.

I will say your husband is not alone. I went to a quilting retreat in March and my husband made a comment about " a bunch of little, old quilting ladies." There was one woman younger than me there. I think part of that is due to how difficult it is to justify taking that much time away from your family.

Well tell your friend he is so wrong. I'm 51 and I don't consider myself old. I know i've seen other threads where there have been youngsters who are learning to quilt, and I believe there are a few grandparents passing the skill onto their grandchildren. I think you will find you will get lots of responces to this question.
    Tammy

Life Is A Banquet and Most Poor Suckers Are Starving!

I"m in my mid 30s and just started quilting. As with many things there is a stereotype of a quilter. And as with most stereotypes, it is wrong!
    Emily

A fugitive from the Quilt Police

I am 34. Though I just really started I love it and don't plan to stop anytime soon so call me an "old" woman.
    Sabrina
    Mommy to a 6 year old little girl, 3 dogs, 5 cats, and 2 fish. lol Life keeps me busy but when I have a moment, I love to sew
    http://ataleofamilitaryfamily.blogspot.com/
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsLove

Blog Entries
    I am 47 and have been quilting for years- my sister 44 started just over a year ago after she saw a quilt my niece ( her daughter age 14 ) made for a school class- now my nephew ( my sisters son and brother to the aforementioned niece) age 13 is starting to quilt. In fact just last weekend I picked up an older Kenmore machine for him - it is in his bedroom , but he told his friends he is just storing it for his mom LOL That's ok we won't tell his friends
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast