Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: All young quilters out there...

Power Poster
    I am two years older than you but know people who are much younger than me that like to quilt. My granddaughters want to learn and we sew when they come for a visit.

Blog Entries
    I'm 25 (wil be 26 the end of June) and have been quilting for about 2 1/2 years now. I'm teaching our 10 yr old cousin to quilt and my 6yr old son loves to sew! No way am I an old lady yet, but I should be a great quilter by the time I am with all this practice I'm getting hahahah!

My DH tells me I have old lady habits, it's his mantra now I think
    http://babyfire04.blogspot.com/
    If it makes you happy, it's worth the time!

Blog Entries
    i went to the machine quilters showcase in overland park, kansas the 17th of this month, and there was a 11 year old girl who made a quilt from start to finish and won 2 ribbons she put me to shame she did great!!
    esther

I'm 34 and I've been quilting for a little over 4 years, but I've known how to sew since I was 12. I've been told numerous times that I'll make a "great old lady" since I like to quilt.
    I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business. - Michael J. Fox

I will be turning 50 in July. Does that count? Anyway, what do we care what that person thinks? I am so thrilled to be learning new things

I am 62, not that "young", but how many quilters do you know that runs half marathons (13.1 miles)? I don't feel like an "old lady" and hope to be quilting and running for a long time!

Define old!!

My Gramma taught us that you are as young as you act!
    Face the world with a smile...You never know when someone you meet will need one!"

I am 32 and just started quilting/sewing. Tell him young and old love to quilt.

Started when I was 31, but sewed since childhood. For old ladies!? Pttphhpthhtpt!!! For anybody!

Alison

You can tell that a lot of younger people are quilting now by the modern fabrics and patterns coming out. I am not young and I like them also, but I think that the young people quilting gave it the push

I have been quilting since Oct. 2011 and I just turned 36. My BFF is 28 and she started when she was 26. We are out there.

I am 55 (soon to be 56) and I can tell you....I don't consider myself old at all!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryLane View Post
    There was one woman younger than me there. I think part of that is due to how difficult it is to justify taking that much time away from your family.
    One of the things that maybe we all need to realize is that we NEED to take time for ourselves. Too many of us end up running on empty and feeling cranky and resentful because we are constantly giving and sacrificing for our families, and putting ourselves last. I finally realized that I function better and can serve my family better when I take better care of myself. That includes occasionally telling my husband that I need some time for myself to just sit and sew. He has quickly learned to keep the kids occupied, and I come back an hour later in a much better mood.

Blog Entries
    I think that's another thing.. how "old" is "old"? I feel old on my son's birthday, every year. I still remember when 30 was old!

started when I was 25- am now 43 ( )

I started quilting at age 27, now 57 and have just taught a 27yo friend to quilt and she loves it. Never too young or old to try anything.

Now that power charges are skyrocketing, I am overwhelmed with people asking me to make them quilts so perhaps the younger generation may need to take up this craft to keep themselves warm.
    QB Albums: Lynnie25's Quilts; Selvedge Quilts; Lyn's Dolls Quilt Swap Quilts

I am one of the "older" ladies...but I have quilted since I was 35 and can now say I've quilted for half my life, so far! Tell him SOME of us "old ladies" also do other things such as ...pistol shoot!!!! So maybe, just maybe, we aren't as old as he may think...or maybe we're younger than he thinks...and by the way, I hit a 1" circle 49 out of 50 shots at the shooting range the other day... and the 50th shot was still in the kill zone...LOL
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Blog Entries
    I made my first quilt at 41 (I'm much older now.) If anyone call that old, they can come stand in my shoes. LOL

I am 32 and I have been quilting since I was in my early 20's.

My 16 yo daughter quilts.
    ~Laura

I may be the "old woman" here, but I can push on that machine pedal just like any teenager! Tell your friend that he shouldn't open his mouth until he's done the research required. Then teach him how to quilt!!

Im 31 and have quilted since my early 20's not as heavily as now though because of funding. Don't feel bad I was told the same thing and I hardly consider myself old. Some people just don't have a clue. I don't know when that rumor got started, how do they think people made quilts in the olden days. Do they think they just woke up at 60 and said now I need a quilt for winter lets start, they were taught as children by their moms and so on. Thats how most utility skills were taught. If only old women quilted the artform would have died long ago when those old women died. Tell them if it seems like only older people quilt its more likely to be due to the expense of the hobby rather than the liking of it because 19 year olds don't have a lot of funds to devote to quilting as older women do with higher paying jobs, at least thats so in my case my early quilting was funded by my aunt, if it hadn't been for her i wouldn't have had the money for the hobby than and would not have fallen in love with it. as for the lady part tell them to keep their sexist comments to themselves because I happen to really love mens quilts.

41 and just started quilting, and although my children and stepchildren call me OLD, I am NOT
    ​Krysti

I am 28 and have been quilting for about 2 years. I love it and am going to be teaching my mom some basic quilting starting tomorrow.

I'm 42, been quilting since about 32, sewing items since 14. My oldest DD made her first & only quilt when she was 16, however she knits & crochets all the time and she's the ripe old age of 20.
    ...the importance of one's life lies not in money or celebrity, but in doing the right thing, even in silence or secrecy, and without reward... Fergus M. Bordewich

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast