Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: All young quilters out there...

Tell your friend it's all about the spirit, not the number...
    Shannon

Jim
    Only for Old Women HUH?...he needs to check his facts before opening his mouth. I have been quilting for almost 20 yrs..and I am 58 and MALE. My wife and I have a great relationship, married for 38 yrs next month, have 2 grown children, 4 grandsons and we were foster parents to over 225 newborns. Quilting is a tension reliever, hobby, obsession and pure satisfaction....its my drug of choice my total addiction and Yes I am a Fabriholic!
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort :lol:

Our youngest Quilt guild member is 14, My grand daughters 12,10,and 6, Me at 62, My Mom at 83, and my Grandma Ruth made her last quilt at the age of 98 are all quilters and none of us think Quilting makes you an old lady! My Grandma Ruth had to give up quilting because her eyesight is so bad, but at 102 she can still tell if your seams are straight and how small your stiches are by touch, and she will tell you about it! LOL Remember you are only as old as you feel.

I am 52, and have been quilting since i was 17. I am female, and I am basically a self-taught quilter. You can tell your friend that it is not only for OLD women.

Our quilt guild had a trunk show presented by the local 4-H group. It all the girls were Jr/Sr high age and let me tell you...their work was outstanding!
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams...live the life you have imagined. Thoreau

I just turned 40 and my BFF will be soon. The first time we went to the show in Des Moines we had several ladies say how nice it was to see young people quilting. Lol. My DD says it's old grandma stuff. She's so ornery.

I'm 24 and started quilting 2 years ago. I admit that I'm not a fan of the old-fashioned 'traditional' patterns, tho.
    Tomorrow I must stop procrastinating.

I'm 46, and have been quilting for about 7 years. Wanted to learn a long time before that, but didn't!!

I'm wondering what makes him think he's such an expert on who quilts!

I have a daughter-in-law who is 31 - a military officer - who has been quilting and sewing for years - learned from her Mom (a good reminder for all of us to pass it on - I sew with my 8 year old granddaughter).

Well, I guess I'm one of the "old ladies" at 62. However, my 8 yr old GS & next door neighbor boy, 12, are learning to quilt. I'm passing on to them my knowledge of quilting. The other kids at school tease them all the time for doing "girlie" stuff & I just tell them that they're jealous 'cuz the other kids don't have anyone that will take the time to teach them skills they can use the rest of their lives.

My dad taught to quilt at 25 and still consider myself a beginner. I am also teaching my daughter at 17 how to quilt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    A male friend (?) and I were talking the other day and I told him I quilted and he said only old women quilted. I'm 58 and said I wasn't an old woman and didn't know what constituted an old woman. I told him that women and men of all ages quilted. I said there were many 20 and 30 year old people who quilted. Any of you want to come forward and let yourself be known so I can tell my friend?
    Thats right i started when I was in my early 20's for my family I will be 49 in just a few days.I still only do hand quilting for daughter and thats all I have a bad back now thanks to my stubborn will.I still love making tops and childrens quilts and a few family quilts I have made all 7 brothers and sisters and all my niece's and nephew,great niece's and newphew's also.thanks all yes their are young quilters.
    Singer 110 , Singer 7422,Singer AH458923, Singer AD075758, Singer 5528 Singer AE234907, Universal H300795 Kenmore 158.16540, Necchi 3354, Dressmaker S2402, Signature 103-303340, BICOR VX1005 Singer 242

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy60545 View Post
    Well, I guess I'm one of the "old ladies" at 62. However, my 8 yr old GS & next door neighbor boy, 12, are learning to quilt. I'm passing on to them my knowledge of quilting. The other kids at school tease them all the time for doing "girlie" stuff & I just tell them that they're jealous 'cuz the other kids don't have anyone that will take the time to teach them skills they can use the rest of their lives.
    thats is so true no one wants to teach good stuff anymore just the not so good.Keep up the good teaching.
    Singer 110 , Singer 7422,Singer AH458923, Singer AD075758, Singer 5528 Singer AE234907, Universal H300795 Kenmore 158.16540, Necchi 3354, Dressmaker S2402, Signature 103-303340, BICOR VX1005 Singer 242

I just turned thirty. I know my little niece thinks that means I'm O-L-D, but I wouldn't say I am.
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work will not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." --Henry David Thoreau

I know alot of young quilters! I'm 56, wish I started this when I was much younger. I got my first brand new sewing machine for my 17 th birthday , but, sewed garments. (kinda miss that). Did alot of needlework when i was young.
    Non- quilters just don't get it! They have no idea what it is about. Quilting is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle
    Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy60545 View Post
    Our high School teaches quilting as a Home Ec class to both girls and boys.
    Donna

My granddaughter is now 23. She and I have been quilting together since she was 10. We went to 4-H quilt camp for 10 years, and since that have made several more quilts. Right now we are working on one for her brother that we hope to have in the fall quilt show at our club.

24 years old and quilting since I was 21. Am I old now? LOL

Did you tell him that only older women with no young families are the only ones that have the time to quilt. The rest of them are still trying to raise children, cook, clean, chauffeur, PTA, Sunday School, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, baseball, soccer, football, church and take care of him?

I started sewing when i was 7, started quilting when I was 30, 51 now - is that old?

Blog Entries
    My friends grand daughter is 14 and they quilt together...in fact they are going on a quilt quest this weekend....as for myself, I am 62...very active and in fact i still compete in dirt track racing...so i guess i'm a on the go, race car drivin quilter !!!!

Blog Entries
    Wow! This fellow needs to be brought into this century!!!! IMHO. Folks of all ages are doing all sorts of things. Doesn't he watch the news?
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    My daughter jusst turned 30 and is quilting. She has fallen in love with this craft. I also enjoy having her quilt with me. It gives us so much time to visit as we sew
    Patski
    always learning

So true! I have 14 children.

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    One of the things that maybe we all need to realize is that we NEED to take time for ourselves. Too many of us end up running on empty and feeling cranky and resentful because we are constantly giving and sacrificing for our families, and putting ourselves last. I finally realized that I function better and can serve my family better when I take better care of myself. That includes occasionally telling my husband that I need some time for myself to just sit and sew. He has quickly learned to keep the kids occupied, and I come back an hour later in a much better mood.
    Anna Quilts

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast