Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   All young quilters out there... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/all-young-quilters-out-there-t190467.html)

MaryLane 05-31-2012 01:37 PM

I am 47. I have made quilts since I was 13. I don't consider myself a quilter but rather someone that sews. Quilts are just one of the things I sew. Both of my DILs asked me to teach them to sew/quilt. They were each in their early 20s at the time.

I will say your husband is not alone. I went to a quilting retreat in March and my husband made a comment about " a bunch of little, old quilting ladies." There was one woman younger than me there. I think part of that is due to how difficult it is to justify taking that much time away from your family.

valsma 05-31-2012 01:44 PM

Well tell your friend he is so wrong. I'm 51 and I don't consider myself old. I know i've seen other threads where there have been youngsters who are learning to quilt, and I believe there are a few grandparents passing the skill onto their grandchildren. I think you will find you will get lots of responces to this question.

Threadbanger 05-31-2012 01:48 PM

I"m in my mid 30s and just started quilting. As with many things there is a stereotype of a quilter. And as with most stereotypes, it is wrong! :)

tngal22 05-31-2012 01:48 PM

I am 34. Though I just really started I love it and don't plan to stop anytime soon so call me an "old" woman.

sharon b 05-31-2012 01:53 PM

I am 47 and have been quilting for years- my sister 44 started just over a year ago after she saw a quilt my niece ( her daughter age 14 ) made for a school class- now my nephew ( my sisters son and brother to the aforementioned niece) age 13 is starting to quilt. In fact just last weekend I picked up an older Kenmore machine for him - it is in his bedroom , but he told his friends he is just storing it for his mom :rolleyes: LOL That's ok we won't tell his friends :)

Grandma Peg 05-31-2012 01:56 PM

I am two years older than you but know people who are much younger than me that like to quilt. My granddaughters want to learn and we sew when they come for a visit.

babyfireo4 05-31-2012 01:57 PM

I'm 25 (wil be 26 the end of June) and have been quilting for about 2 1/2 years now. I'm teaching our 10 yr old cousin to quilt and my 6yr old son loves to sew! No way am I an old lady yet, but I should be a great quilter by the time I am with all this practice I'm getting hahahah!
:thumbup:
My DH tells me I have old lady habits, it's his mantra now I think :D

haylillan 05-31-2012 01:57 PM

i went to the machine quilters showcase in overland park, kansas the 17th of this month, and there was a 11 year old girl who made a quilt from start to finish and won 2 ribbons she put me to shame she did great!!

QuiltinginSD 05-31-2012 02:30 PM

I'm 34 and I've been quilting for a little over 4 years, but I've known how to sew since I was 12. I've been told numerous times that I'll make a "great old lady" since I like to quilt.

pmrosie 05-31-2012 02:32 PM

I will be turning 50 in July. Does that count? Anyway, what do we care what that person thinks? I am so thrilled to be learning new things